Inadequate ventilation for fire place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our fireplace has a design fault which has now been agreed by the house builder, the problem is that the flue is huge and there is a 8" x 8" ventilation port, that's it! If we close the lounge doors we get a huge howling of air coming in through the doors and the lounge fills with smoke. They have agreed to put in huge ventilation to the outer walls but we know when they did this with our neighbours house it made the room so cold from all the cold outside air coming in. Is there anything else i could suggest to them, i.e. put in a log burner or smaller flue???

Sponsored Links
i would check what the MI for the fire says is required and stick rigidly to that for both flue and ventilation

Sponsored Links
Your problem is a complex one related to the size of the flue. You need a smaller, well-insulated flue, which will allow a smooth column of rising hot gases. With this, your room vent should be adequate.

If your chimney is so big it will not be suitable for any kind of fire. It needs to be lined and insulating material poured down around the liner. The liner costs around £50 a metre but the result will be that your fire or stove will draw well and you'll have fewer problems with drafts.

A multi-fuel stove is a real delight and once you've had one you will become addicted. They are clean in use while more efficient than an open fire and less drafty when not burning.

Your first action should be to get your local chimney sweep around and make him a nice cup of tea. Make him your friend and you will bring warmth and happiness into your home as he will sort everything out for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back