Incoming meter wiring under-rated?

Sponsored Links
and you couldnt have a meter in a loft?

Don't bet on that! We've found them in lofts, bedrooms, bathrooms, a local large hotel had their meter position in a cupboard in a first floor guest bedroom.

I agree that it looks as though it could have been "moved" however the seal on the meter terminals looks intact which surprises me

That's possibly just the supplier sending out a sub contractor to replace the meter, and whoever they sent either didn't notice (or more likely didn't know/care) that it was a non standard supply cable...

Joe public can go on eBay now and buy as many seals and a nice pair of crimps to go with them For less than a fiver, bottom seal though where the terminals and bottom fixing screws are has been cut by the looks of it.

Sponsored Links
Joe public can go on eBay now and buy as many seals and a nice pair of crimps to go with them

Yep, but missing the serial number/code that is printed on the seal by the genuine pliers.
All genuine ones are registered

The pair I have will be destroyed when I leave the company!

Bet them Henley blocks are not sealed, wouldn't need to cut meter seals

To clarify, the house is a rural detached house and the electricity supply is overhead and comes from a pole on the main road directly over to a connection on the outside on the gable end of the house. The cable seems to come in from there and go straight to the 100amp fuse seen in the pic.

The previous owner was a bit of a dodgy DIY’er but I am not convinced that he would have moved the meter. As there is no isolation between the incoming connection and this cupboard he would have had to have worked on it live and I don’t think even he was that mad!

The reason I would be surprised if the original meter was in the loft is that its about 3.5 metres up to the tiny loft hatch so wouldnt have been accessable for meter readings and I cant see anywhere else that it could have been sited other than the current location.

I’m off tomorrow afternoon so I will get up in the loft and trace the cable back to the gable wall to see if there is a connection hidden somewhere and get some more pics from inside and outside.

Thanks all for your replies.

I have been up in the loft and traced this cable back and it definitely goes through the wall and connects to where the suspended power connection comes in. I can’t see any connections in-between. I also had a look around for any evidence of where a meter might have been previously and I cant see it. Where the connection comes in is next to a window and a wall on the upper level, the cable then goes up on the outside of the wall to come in the loft, if it was to come straight in the wall it would come into a dividing wall between two bedrooms so I still think this cupboard was the original meter position.

View media item 32235 View media item 32234

Could be un-insulated singles to the gable end with the 10mm T&E crimped onto it, i'll agree its unlikely but ive seen far dodgier stuff on really old street light installations, seems to me that they adopted the "any old cable will do" attitude for street lights way back when.

As already said some additional pictures and tracing the cable itself will shed a little more light on the mystery. If it is 10mm T&E all the way to the gable end then you need to contact the DNO and have them come out and replace it asap!

Anyone know if they may opt to replace with an external meter position with an SWA run to the CU position or would they replace like for like?

Haha there was my typing that and i hadnt even seen the pics as we cross posted. Ok so yeh you defo need to contact the DNO asap and have them come out to inspect it, that cable isnt suitable and needs to be replaced. Looking at your consumer units you have a fair demand hanging off that 10mm T&E.

Contact whoever you pay for your electricity first and go from there, check their website as they may have a contact number for loss of supply or emergency situations etc.

Let us know how you get on.

When you contact the DNO, ask for an isolation switch too.

Don't be surprised if they don't supply a main earthing terminal as they might leave you with a TT supply. You might need to supply an earth rod and RCD.

That looks like it was a temporary supply to the property during renovation work and was never replaced with a proper cable to the meter board when renovation was completed.

I wonder if one of the cement patches in the picture were the original hole where the original cable went into the building before renovation .

This is a fab post (not for the home owner obviously, but from an electrician's point of view!)

The T and E 'supply' seems to have an un sleeved earth going into the earth henley block, but surely that can't be right? I can't see from the pics an earth coming from an earth rod, so perhaps the whole property isn't earthed?

Also I can't spot and RCD's/rcbo's in the CCU's.....

There seems to be a thin third wire in the picture. An earth wire perhaps ?

I seem to recall something about there needed to be an earth to the metal bracket holding the procelain insulators used in open wire mains supplies to ensure leakage from rain water could not import a voltage on to the bracket.

procelain insulators used in open wire mains supplies

REC's have never been allowed to have open, unisulated wires attached to any property, the final span is always insulated so there is no need to insulate the bracket nor is it any spec to do so.

That earth wire in the T&E will be the incomming earth from the distribution network

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back