Incoming meter wiring under-rated?

Sponsored Links
Re the posts above I can confirm that there are 3 wires coming from the pole on the road to the porcelain blocks on the outside of the house, obviously live and neutral and the 3rd wire is an un-insulated earth wire which is un-insulated all the way back to the pole on the main road. The earth wire is not connected to the metal bracket on the wall, its insulated by the bottom porcelain block and connected to the earth in the T&E cable going into the property.

It’s possible that the cement patch could be covering a previous entry point, there is a bedroom cupboard on the other side but there is no evidence on the inside of a previous meter installation and judging by the age of the shelving fittings, if there was a meter there it must have been moved many years ago.

I have called Scottish Power, the operator was a bit confused as to the issue I was describing so I just told her to send someone out to take a look.

Scottish Power came out this afternoon and took a look. He wasnt phased at all (no pun intended) by the cable used and said it was a fairly standard set up for older houses. I asked what the point of 25mm² tails on the meter was when the incoming cable was only 10mm² but he didnt seem bothered about that. He said something about older cables being copper as opposed to modern aluminium which I didnt really follow. I showed him both the connection on the outside and at the meter, and asked him directly if he was happy that the cable would carry a 100amps and he seemed confident that it would so that was that. [/code]

I'm affraid you need a second opinion. 10mm will not safely carry 100A that is almost twice what it will carry, clipped direct. Does your cable run under any insulation in the loft?

Sponsored Links
Agreed you need a second ( and maybe better informed ) opinion.

PVC cable exposed to direct sunlight will degrade.

Close to a copper pipe

Through a stone wall ( soft lime mortar ? ) where movement over time may abrade up-protected cable.

I tend to agree with both of you, but I have called the supplier and they have told me that the cable is fit for purpose. I intend to check it over myself including temperature of the cable and connections under load for my own peace of mind.

The cable is above the insulation in the loft but resting on it so insulation will have some effect on it. I suppose I could ask the supplier to give me an assurance in writing that the cable and connections are safe and that might make them take more notice.

It looks like a 6.0mm² drop to me as it appears to have a solid earth rather than the stranded earth you'd find in 10.0mm² cable.

This is an interesting post & I'm glad it is being followed up.

How can they suggest that 10mm T & E is sufficient? You have already stated you have an electric shower.

The external cable isn't even dressed to avoid water ingress.

Keep the progress reports coming.

If it is 6mm as RF suggests - even more cause for concern.

I suppose I could ask the supplier to give me an assurance in writing that the cable and connections are safe and that might make them take more notice.
Yes, please do as it will probably go to someone in a 'technical policy' department who would be more akin with changing standards. The guy who came round probably remembers installing it!

Just another issue relating to the wiring in this house and possibly also the incoming supply. I had a BG guy round giving a quote on a new boiler as I am thinking of getting gas (currently oil) and while there he did a plug in wiring test and told me that as the impedance was around 50 Ohms I would also have to pay for an electrical survey and probable earth spike installation.

Keen to check it myself and find out if the issue was with all sockets I bought a martindale EZ socket tester and it confirmed that in all sockets in the house I am getting between 10-100 Ohms (this is as accurate as the tester gets). I temporaraly disconnected the earth coming into the house and I am still getting the same so I presume that there is an earth connection somewhere on to the water pipes and that the incoming earth is either poorer than the connection to the water pipe or completely non existant.

Just for kicks I connected a standard flex earth wire from a spare earth terminal on a downstairs socket to a metal spike and passed this out of the window and drove into the ground. I know this was a bit of Blue Peter earth spike but I was still surprised that the impedence still didnt go below 10Ω.

So, my questions are;

1. Given that there is an earth wire connection coming into the house is the supplier obliged to provide a low impedance earth?
2. I recognise that my little earth spike test could have been flawed by a number of things but, is there any other factors that could cause this test to read high, other than the actual connection to ground itself? (p.s. I have turned off all appliances such as fridge/freezer/CH pump while doing the test)

View media item 32234

1. Given that there is an earth wire connection coming into the house is the supplier obliged to provide a low impedance earth

Yes, absolutely.
The value should be below 0.8ohms at the meter position for a 100A fuse

Yes, ring their emergency number in the morning as it is classed as a fault (well we do) they are in breech of regulations though

I called Scottish Power re the earth fault this morning and they are coming out tomorrow to check it.

If anyone is still watching this re the original issue with the incoming cable - during the call today I also asked them to confirm in writing that they had checked and were happy with a 10mm² cable carrying a 100 Amp load. The lady had to go away and call me back but basically the response was as follows;

- They have already checked this and have stated that the cable is adequate and safe.
- This is the cable that was installed at the time of power first being connected to the house and Scottish Power and if I wanted it replaced this would be put through as a customer request and would be chargeable. (I did explain that as an older house the original current requirements were much lower as it was probably only used originally for electric lighting back then)
- They were not prepared to put the above in writing

As they were not prepared to write to me confirming this I have written a letter to them today quoting the maximum current capacity for 10mm² cable from IEE regs as 90 Amps in free air but as low as 60 Amps in and around buildings and await a response. I dont believe this will come to anything but at least if something goes wrong in the future I should have an acknowledgement of my letter.

Does anyone else think it is a little hypocritical that householders/electricians are bound by regulations but the electricity companies are not held to these same standards?

This sort of DIY ignorance to wiring really pee's me off, who ever has done this was properly pleased as punch with his efforts. "Look darling I told you I could move all that unsightly meter to the cupboard no problem" trouble is it works for a while or maybe for years and they honestly think it's all ok. Until on day something gives and there's a fire but hey ho he's down the road now pastures new.

Nothing like jumping to conclusions, eh? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back