Incorrect wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrapped all connector blocks seperately in insulation tape but one of the wires was protruding and had touched the other wire. I have now wrappped them up like Christmas presents. I am only small and holding the light was like a weightlifting circuit! No excuse for sloppy workmanship, I know!

Sponsored Links
There were three neutral (blue) of which I repeated form the old ceiling rose, 2 blue to the blue from the light and one blue to the brown from the light.
You see, there weren't 3 neutrals, there were 2, and 1 switched live. If you put that in the same terminal as a neutral you will get circuit breakers tripping when you turn the switch on, dimmers being destroyed, etc.
What an a**e you are BAS - the OP clearly states three (blue) wires
No - the OP clearly states "three neutral (blue)"

The damage was caused to the dimmer by an accident - end of.
I started my post of 19:44 before 19:42.

Do you have the brains to understand what that implies?

I just cannot understand why you feel the constant need to bemoan DIYers when they don't communicate in Electrician speak - both Sparkwright and I understood what was going on - Given your knowledge and experience it is beyond comprehension that you didn't - but still you just had to put the knife in and twist it - again. :rolleyes:
I'm sorry that you are unable or unwilling to understand that it is important, when dealing with lighting, to not make the assumption that if it's blue or black it must be a neutral conductor, and that because of either your stupidity or deliberate uselessness you feel it necessary to stick the knife into me and twist it.

You are a shameful and dangerous waste of space.

What riveralt asked was this:

Just to clarify - you have used a three terminal (port) connection or a four terminal connection strip.
On a four port terminal connection strip you should have:
Earth loop - sleeved earth - connects to the lamp earth.
Live Loop - all browns/reds - no lamp connections.
Switch live - blue(brown sleeve) - connected to the lamp live connection
Neutral - remaining blues - connected to the lamp neutral connection.
And what you replied was this:

The light that has only two feeds is the one that is permanently on it is a dimmer switch but permenantly on bright. I will get a picture for you but it is going to take a while as the light is very heavy and I am on my own. There is no earth from the light and it specifically asks any earths from the household circuit br terminated.in a seperate block. And all wires are connected as described split into three sperate blocks. There is no sheath on the blue wire.
When I started my post asking if you were sure that you hadn't mixed up some of the blue conductors you had not told us that it was all down to conductors touching because of poor workmanship.

And whether you or riveralt like it or not, it IS of HUGE importance that people working on lighting circuits do not assume that blue/black ≡ neutral.

...You are a shameful and dangerous waste of space.

That's OTT and unnecessary, b-a-s.

Rule #1) Abusive or unhelpful posts are not welcome.

And I know you're now going to re-quote riveralt's "a**e" jibe but two wrongs don't make a right. You've been around here long enough to know the rules.

Sponsored Links
I won't re-quote it, but I would ask you to look at this:

Hi, I changed the dimmer for a two way s/w and yes it worked until I switched the new light on which blew the c/b.
You're sure you didn't get any of the blue wires mixed up?

There were three neutral (blue) of which I repeated form the old ceiling rose, 2 blue to the blue from the light and one blue to the brown from the light.
You see, there weren't 3 neutrals, there were 2, and 1 switched live. If you put that in the same terminal as a neutral you will get circuit breakers tripping when you turn the switch on, dimmers being destroyed, etc.

And see if you can find anything about it which was in the remotest sense abusive or unhelpful.

And yet it is me that you decide to criticise because I called riveralt a shameful and dangerous waste of space, and not riveralt for what he said to me.

No doubt at some point you'll be another one of those t**ts who tells me that I'm wrong to not listen to the criticism I get. When that happens I hope you'll remember how here you did nothing but reinforce the impression that you apply so little rationality and intelligence to what you write that your opinions are worthless.

I'm truly not bothered about your assessment of the worthiness of my opinion, b-a-s.
My point, however, was about you flagrantly violating rule #1 of this forum.

You raise the point about rationality and intelligence(of argument, presumably) influencing the weight that should be applied to an opinion or post. That works both ways; if you can keep the abuse out of your posts then that will add credibility to your argument.

As it happens, the posts that you cite are useful and add to the debate, in my opinion (which you have confirmed that you do not value :D), but you are your own lightning rod - you attract criticism because of the style of your posts.
This isn't news, b-a-s, is it...?

My point, however, was about you flagrantly violating rule #1 of this forum.
OK, SFB - since you don't seem to get it, I WILL quote riveralt.

What an a**e you are BAS

Would you care to advance a rational, intelligent, consistent explanation of why you decided to criticise me for violating a forum rule by calling riveralt a "shameful and dangerous waste of space" and yet have decided to not say a thing to him for calling me "an a**e" when I'd said absolutely nothing that was either abusive or unhelpful?

No - I thought not.

That works both ways; if you can keep the abuse out of your posts then that will add credibility to your argument.
As I said - in your eyes this is absolutely fine:

What an a**e you are BAS

and this isn't:

You are a shameful and dangerous waste of space.

So don't be so stupid as to try and lecture me about credibility.

you are your own lightning rod - you attract criticism because of the style of your posts.
The style of my posts?

Care to advance a rational, intelligent, consistent explanation of what was so terrible about this:

Hi, I changed the dimmer for a two way s/w and yes it worked until I switched the new light on which blew the c/b.
You're sure you didn't get any of the blue wires mixed up?

No - I thought not.

This isn't news, b-a-s, is it...?
News that this forum is full of petty, childish, vindictive little t**ts like you whose opinions are worth less than dog***t on the sole of my shoe?

No.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back