Incorrect wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a new ceiling light that works perfectly.....however a light in another room is now permenantly on! What have I done wrong?

Sponsored Links
I have fitted a new ceiling light that works perfectly.....however a light in another room is now permenantly on! What have I done wrong?
When you say ceiling light - have you replaced the old ceiling rose with this new light?
I also assume that you didn't touch the other room light and that you did not touch any of the switches.
Does the other room light stay on when:
a) the switch in the room with the new ceiling rose is on/off.
b) When you have switched both room switches on and off independently.

At some point we will need photographs of the wiring of the new light and the 'other room light ceiling rose'. And possibly of the two switches involved. You also might need access to a multi-meter and know how to use it.

It sounds as if you have somehow connected a permanent live to the switch live of the other room light - thus you have two permanent lives at the switch.

I replaced the ceiling rose and marked up all the wires. There were three live (brown) which I put into one 3 port connection. There were three neutral (blue) of which I repeated form the old ceiling rose, 2 blue to the blue from the light and one blue to the brown from the light.Then there were 2 earths and one from the light. These are all connected to seperate terminal blocks separating the 3 blue from ceiling, 3 brown and the earths. I have not touched the light in the other room and it was off when I reset the c/b with the new light off. I have since dropped the other light and it only has two of everything from the ceiling which is all connected. I don't have an AVO/Multimeter but was hoping by labelling them as they were would be enough. Many thanks for getting back so quickly.
Trish

Sounds like standard wiring.

From the ceiling, the blue wire on it's own probably had a brown sleeve on it.

Is the switch for the light that's permanently on an ordinary switch, or is it some fancy kind of dimmer?

Does the light permanently on appear dim?

Can you send a photo of the wiring that you have worked on?

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify - you have used a three terminal (port) connection or a four terminal connection strip.
On a four port terminal connection strip you should have:
Earth loop - sleeved earth - connects to the lamp earth.
Live Loop - all browns/reds - no lamp connections.
Switch live - blue(brown sleeve) - connected to the lamp live connection
Neutral - remaining blues - connected to the lamp neutral connection.

The light that has only two feeds is the one that is permanently on it is a dimmer switch but permenantly on bright. I will get a picture for you but it is going to take a while as the light is very heavy and I am on my own. There is no earth from the light and it specifically asks any earths from the household circuit br terminated.in a seperate block. And all wires are connected as described split into three sperate blocks. There is no sheath on the blue wire.

The light that has only two feeds is the one that is permanently on it is a dimmer switch but permenantly on bright. I will get a picture for you but it is going to take a while as the light is very heavy and I am on my own. There is no earth from the light and it specifically asks any earths from the household circuit br terminated.in a seperate block. And all wires are connected as described split into three sperate blocks. There is no sheath on the blue wire.
Okay assuming no wiring changes elsewhere then the other possibility is that you may have caused some damage to the dimmer.
If you have a rocker switch to hand you could replace the dimmer and see if that cures your problems.

Hi, I changed the dimmer for a two way s/w and yes it worked until I switched the new light on which blew the c/b.Then I rewired the dimmer back in and it blew again when I turned the new light on. Now I can't switch either of them on as the c/b won't reset. Having put the two way back i. Such a simple job is becoming a nightmare. Thank you so much for your help so far.

Check you haven't 'pinched' any wires against anything, this could cause a short circuit.

Try to send photos if you can.

Make sure the power is off when you work on it at all times.

All sorted thank you. It was typical example of focussing on the job I was working on. You were right about the dimmer it was tits up which was not on my radar. Having unshipped the lights earlier on I had another look and I must have moved the insulation tape as the live and neutral were touching each other (laziness on my part). So removed the dimmer and properly insulad new light,job done. Trip to shop tomorrow to buy a new s/w. Thank you so much for your help, you saved me calling on a spark. Having a Vodka now as I believe I have earnt it. You're a star
Trish

Hi, I changed the dimmer for a two way s/w and yes it worked until I switched the new light on which blew the c/b.
You're sure you didn't get any of the blue wires mixed up?

There were three neutral (blue) of which I repeated form the old ceiling rose, 2 blue to the blue from the light and one blue to the brown from the light.
You see, there weren't 3 neutrals, there were 2, and 1 switched live. If you put that in the same terminal as a neutral you will get circuit breakers tripping when you turn the switch on, dimmers being destroyed, etc.

There were three neutral (blue) of which I repeated form the old ceiling rose, 2 blue to the blue from the light and one blue to the brown from the light.
You see, there weren't 3 neutrals, there were 2, and 1 switched live. If you put that in the same terminal as a neutral you will get circuit breakers tripping when you turn the switch on, dimmers being destroyed, etc.
What an arse you are BAS - the OP clearly states three (blue) wires -
TWO of them to the blue of the light = Neutral and ONE blue to the brown of the light = Switch live - apart from the sleeving = correct.
The damage was caused to the dimmer by an accident - end of.
I just cannot understand why you feel the constant need to bemoan DIYers when they don't communicate in Electrician speak - both Sparkwright and I understood what was going on - Given your knowledge and experience it is beyond comprehension that you didn't - but still you just had to put the knife in and twist it - again. :rolleyes:

I had another look and I must have moved the insulation tape as the live and neutral were touching each other

What does that mean? Do you mean the insulation tape was used as a brown sleeve to show it's a live wire?

Ban-All-Sheds: You seem to have a classic case of RTFQ. Riveralt has been patient and took time to read my issue. I hope if you ever need help in an area outside your comfort zone people will be as patient with you as Riveralt has been with me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back