increase heat output of "designer" vertical radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished a 2 storey and a single storey extension. I calculated the BTU requirements for radiators. In my kitchen/family room there wasn't sufficient wall space for traditional rads so I had to buy the expensive vertical ones. I went a little over with the BTU but the room is still not hot enough. The rads get screaming hot on the surface all over but they do not live up to their btu ratings. I think that due to the vertical nature and the lack of fins you get in a type 21 or 22 radiator that they are just not that great.

Is anyone aware of any "fins" you can get to add to rads? mine are both double column so I could get some fins in between if anyone sold them.

Sponsored Links
Have they been installed correctly many vertical rads are designed to be horizontal and for vertical use have internal knockout section which has to be removed to give correct flow .

not sure tbh. they are screaming hot though all over the panels. I just think they are a bad design. horizontal rads shift a lot more air and have a far greater surface area with all the fins on a double panel.

The heat output is expected to be in accordance with the maker's specification.

You say they are hot all over.

You also say you calculated the heat requirement. But are you sure you did that correctly?

Why anyone wants to calculate in BTU is beyond me when kW have been the correct unit since 1980.

As a very rough check, expect to need about 100W per square metre floor area.

Tony

Sponsored Links
i did ok for every other room. lets say I miscalculated.. can you get fins to increase surface area?

Why anyone wants to calculate in BTU is beyond me when kW have been the correct unit since 1980.

I for one can do heat loss in BTUs for a room without referring to charts and tables
Secondly, lot of radiator specs still quote outputs in BTUs and Kw, so 1980 might be the cut off date but BTUs are still alive and quoted in 2017

To use the rough guide as a check on your calculations, what is your calculated heat loss in kW per square meter?

And what is your total heat loss for the room?

And the total radiator heat output?

BTUs are sometimes quoted by manufacturers to help those dinosaurs who have not kept up to date with current methods.

To use the rough guide as a check on your calculations, what is your calculated heat loss in kW per square meter?

And what is your total heat loss for the room?

And the total radiator heat output?

BTUs are sometimes quoted by manufacturers to help those dinosaurs who have not kept up to date with current methods.

all rad out puts are quoted (?) by the manu at delta t 50 or 55 (?)

years ago it was delta 60

google it for an explanation . :)

horse has bolted fellas. calculations are meaningless now as the rads are already in. can't get fins so will need to either put up with it or drop some taller rads in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back