Increase height of new toilet pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing my old toilet and cistern.

The flooring is P5 moisture resistant chipboard.

The new toilet pan is not as high as the old one and needs to be raised by about 25mm.

I'm proposing to screw a piece of P5 chipboard (22mm thick) to the floor and fix the pan on top of it.

As an alternative, I have some 12mm marine plywood that I could screw 2 pieces together to give 24mm thicknes.

Does anyone see any problems in doing this?

I would welcome any tips, suggestions.

Thank you.

Stef

Sponsored Links
Either would work, it's will stick out like a sore thumb a bit though. Floor covering dependent then Ply would be more resilient, especially if there are bad aimers in the house.

Sponsored Links
I am presuming the pan needs to be raised by 25mm to allow the spigot to fit to the outlet and maintain the fall?

OP, as above. You can buy high pans but you'd have to google for them.
If you go the ply/chipboard packing route then you could pre-paint white (?) the edges of the packing pieces.

You can buy a plinth to raise the pan - cant remember where though.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

The old pan spigot is at a downward angle (approx 20 degrees) and the soil pipe passing through the brick isat the same angle and so they are connected with a fixed straight pan connector.

However, the spigot on the new pan is horizontal, so I've bought a Mcalpine flexible pan connector to cater for the different angles. Hopefully, this will allow me to raise the pan 25mm above the floor and connect to the soil pipe that is at a different angle

I've just had another thought, maybe if I could buy a 25mm thick floor tile that could be drilled and screwed down, that might work.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpeg
    IMG_0167.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 99
Don't forget that a standard pan connector's spigot seal is designed the allow some flex as far as the outflow fall is concerned, as long as it isn't excessive, 20Deg may be ok.

Madrab- I tried connecting the new pan to the soil pipe with the existing pan connector and it leaked. So I bought the flexible connector.

ETAF- Just had a look at your interesting 'Cutting oak plinth' thread and it looks a good idea to put a frame together.

I think I've got a couple of lengths of teak from some old furniture that I could use for a frame.

Stef

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back