Incredibly noisy minimiser se boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone out there help? British Gas tell me that it's because of a build up of scale (and entirely predictably, their 3+ service agreement doesn't cover scale) and that I should replace what otherwise seems a perfectly good 8 year old boiler (which they installed).

The noise used to be solved by injections of Fernox's 'boiler noise' stuff, but this doesn't work any more.

I would rather save c.£2,000!

Sponsored Links
tell the shysters you want the heat exchanger replaced as you believe it has a manufacturing defect-covered by your policy. (either that or make it leak with a tiny drillbit!). ;)

Manufacturing defects are not covered either.
Mind that is a first someone saying a minimiser is a perfectly good boiler

In our local area I can replace a Minimiser SE60 like for like for £600!

That must beat any BG price!

Water treatment would be extra!

In this case there seems to be an inherent fault in the installation if there have been ongong problems since the installation. Are you sure there are no leaks?

Tony

Sponsored Links
You have a minimiser that is still working :eek:

I would ask to note this in the guiness book of records.

Get rid of it asap. Yet another Ideal piece of carp :rolleyes:

If you do replace it make sure you get some quotes other than ****ish gas, you'll find bg extortionate and the quality of their work is not the greatest.

If you do replace it make sure you get some quotes other than ****ish gas, you'll find bg extortionate and the quality of their work is not the greatest.

I hate people who respect British gas so much and those who think that their are getting a proper service done because its "British gas who are doing it".

People tell me to work for British gas when I grow up. :(

Clean the existing system, pipes and rads. Isolate the heat exchanger and pour in descaler directly. Best fit a plate heat exchanger between the boiler and the system. This isolates the boiler from the system and scale and sludge build up.

These boilers need a good clean out the combustion chamber service every year. Prevent scale build up and clean the heat exchanger every year and it should be reliable enough. The controls are simple and non-modulating. Run it a minimum of 70C, otherwise the heat exchanger can crack. Low running temps also cause sludge build up in the heat exchanger too.

They make an awful noise when scaled up.

Change the record ya fud!

If folk would strip service boilers like we used to in the auld days instead of relying on telegan machines then the minimiser gave very little problems when cleaned every year!

Change the record ya fud!

If folk would strip service boilers like we used to in the auld days instead of relying on telegan machines then the minimiser gave very little problems when cleaned every year!

Don't really mater how well you clean it if the hx is scaled though does it?

Minimisers are nails...blocked hx fins that are impossible to clean properly, splitting fan seals, leaking flue seals that drip onto the hx and rot it...rubbish.

God last time i heard the word FUD i was looking down at the centre circle of fitty pitch from a hill. North of border will know.
Shambolic if the minimisaer was a good boler why 7 years ago was there a national recall that involved over £200 of parts being fitted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back