Indemnity insurance + easement advice pls!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We bought a 4 bed semi in 2007 which had been extended by previous owners in 2005. I have just found out a few things:

Some extra mini extensions had been tacked on to the main extension after a completion cert given for the main extension. These of course do not have buildings or planning permission.

These mini extensions (long cupboards accessed from inside) are built onto the boundary line and the tops and roofs overhang next door's airspace.
You cannot see this encroachment unless you trespass over next doors property.

I have been to see a solicitor who has asked me to think about indemnity insurance and easement indemnity. What exactly does this cover? eg if next door sells and the new owner contact the council and report us for trespassing over their space what are we covered for? If we have to pull them down we lose a lot of space - including where the washing machine is housed and of course a lot of value on the home.

Because of the time delay of the build, we know we are ok for planning permission however building regs can i think, still insist we make good - but to do this properly we would have to pull them down and start again - BUT as i understand it this would mean applying for planning permission????

Make sense??!
Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Why is your Solicitor recommending indemnity insurance when you are already living there?

Building control will only take action if a structurally unsafe building or safety risk

No one can report you to the council for trespassing as trespass is not a council matter

I am presuming that all these mini extensions were done by the the previous owner and not yourself.
Speak to the solicitor who handled your house purchase, and ask him why this was not picked up in their search.
At least this way you can unload the worry onto them.

Sponsored Links
In the UK there are 47.4million houses built on or near boundaries and 39.6million of those have extensions, garages, outhouses, etc. that overhang adjoining properties. 39,599,995 of those were sold without the issue cropping up.

Personally I think you would be better off worrying about which vintage to open tonight. Thatchers Gold or Westons Traditional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back