Independent building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello from a Newbie to the site.

I have been "lurking" for a while and I've been impressed with the amount of knowledge that abounds, it's a bit like watching Eggheads!

Well to business, I want to carry out some small internal works on a house I've just bought.
Small stuff really but want to get cracking as soon as possible. Can anyone recommend an Independent Building Control Inspector? I'm close to Oxford so nearer the better I suppose to lower charges.

Many thanks
SSsss

Sponsored Links
I want to carry out some small internal works on a house I've just bought...........Small stuff really
What makes you think it is controlled work?

When you say 'independent' do you mean of the private variety? What's wrong with the good ole' LA inspectors?

Sponsored Links
Oh please, Nose; when you've dealt with as many LABC nits as I have............

Not a case of bottling it. It's just that LABC people insist on carrying out some things (eg thermal insulation) to the letter, when clients might
prefer a lower standard.
Experience has taught me that if there are two ways of achieving something, LABC will always insist on either the most expensive- or most difficult way -
it's in their genes.

I think you probably send in a dodgy set of plans and it gets their backs up, didn't you get two whole pages of conditions once?

didn't you get two whole pages of conditions once?

Yes, because their service was so poor that they were losing work, so the nit checking my plans had to make it look to his boss that he was actually
doing something. You know the things, like;

245. walls to be built plumb;
246. floors to be level;
247. gutters not to be set sloping upwards;
248. roof to slope downwards;

Yep I know the kind of thing

250. show some insulation, any insulation
251. DPM in the floor
252. Windows or doors to all openings.

:mrgreen:

Many thanks for the replies, it seems like many I have had some "inconsistent" interpretations of BR. The works are small but notifiable, creating shower cubicle and ancillary services from a redundant hot air heater. Drainage, ventilation,Part P all the usual suspects.
Is the consensus that LABC have got better?
Ta

Hi OP, I would recommend checking your Local Authority website, many of them have decent guidelines as to what Building Control requires and also check the guidelines for Landlords as they are different depending on the type of property and how it is being let (I assume you're planning to let). Can be found through google pretty easily. As for a inspectors best thing to do perhaps speak to a surveyor as they will be able to give you the information you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back