Indesit WIDL126 washer/dryer not drying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The dryer of my Indesit WIDL126 washer/dryer stopped producing heat. The cycle runs, but it doesn't dry. I've opened it from the top and tested the element, fan, and thermal fuse cable with an ohmmeter. Only the fuse cable seemed to be open circuit, so I replaced it. But as I ran the dryer with the new fuse, all the lights started flashing again giving an error signal and again the dryer didn't produce heat. I haven't yet opened it again, but I am guessing the fuse is open circuit once more. Any suggestions as to what may be producing this, how I could test it, and whether I could replace/fix it myself?
Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Check the thermal fuse its poss popped again cos the condenser is blocked with fluf. Use the cold fill hose to flush it out. Make sure door is shut when you do it.

Many thanks, Rocks! I see from previous posts in the forum that you're the genius of these Indesit washer-dryers! I'll do as you recommend tomorrow. If the fuse indeed popped (most likely), I'll need to have it replaced again before confirming that fluff blocking the condenser was the problem, right? Or is there any way of checking if the dryer now works without a new fuse?
Thanks!

Remove the lid and put dryer on see if the heater box gets hot. Also check the fan blades are not blocked with fluff.

Sponsored Links
The good news is that the fuse had not popped. I cleaned all the fluff from the blades (important amounts!) and flushed water down the condenser (not so much fluff coming out of there). Drained the water, and turned on the dryer with lid off. The heater box did get hot (but not the drum), and it seemed to run fine for the first 4-5 minutes, but after that, all lights but one started flashing again.

Any more suggestions? Thanks!

Further to this: Lights flashing, in addition to the on/off, are 1, 2 & 4, that is Delay timer, Easy iron, and 1200-600. And fuse still fine...

If the fan goes round , and this error only happens on dry then the thermistor is faulty. That's the round black one with 2 screws holding it in next to the heater.

Hmmm, is that the temperature sensor NTC? Can I check for sure that it is that, or should I just order a new one?

PS> The fan goes round with I spin it by hand, but I don't know if it moves when I run the drying cycle.... Can I check that somehow? Thanks!

Oh dear, I take it back: although before the fan was spinning, I've just now split the heater box to try the fan once more, and NO! it's not spinning freely....

Should I just try to loosen up the screw? thanks!!

That's your prob fan is jammed. Loosen the nut may be fluff stuck behind it. Then refit.

Thanks, when refitting, I of course lost the nut inside of the machine and can't find it, grrr!

In any case, the fan was spinning fine before, and only after I tried to take it out earlier today it became stiff. But this was after the cycle became faulty again, so that's why I suspect is not the fan.

While I look for the lost nut, is there any way I can check the thermistor?

Thanks!

I'm thinking the fan is jamming on the houseing. It's very common. To test the thermistor put it in a cup of hot water and measure the reading hot and cold.

Brilliant, will do... now, where do I measure the reading hot and cold?
Thanks once more!

HI again, good morning. I've measured the thermistor with the ohmmeter. I have it on the most sensitive setting (x10k). When cold, it reads 2. When hot, it reads 1. Am I doing this correctly?
Ta!

Yes that's ok just find the nut now and test the fan goes round without jamming

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back