Indoor handle latch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
E2F5CBD5-5F7F-454A-BB6A-7B7FBC617C24.jpeg
AC076B28-BF52-4542-8B6D-5CB39900C602.jpeg
Hi

Our bathroom door handle was sticking, so I bought new ones in B&Q today. Having replaced catch still sticks s bit. Ie handle in open position doesn’t pull the metal catch all the way inside lock. Do I also need to replace that part as well?

(Photos show handle in closed and open positions)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do I also need to replace that part as well?

yes

I expect it's a Tubular Latch.

take the handles off, then unscrew and pull out the latch. Measure the distance from the front plate to the centre of the square spindle hole precisely. It might, for example, be 44mm or 45mm

get the same size.

Ensure that the width of the square spindle matches the square hole.

The yellow Altro are very good quality, but cheap makes are also available.

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?query=tubular latch

Thanks for prompt response. Assuming I could get these in B&Q (if I can tolerate the queue and social distancing issues?)

Cheers

Update

Removed screws, but couldn’t “pull out the latch”. Is it possible this has somehow got stuck over the years?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Update

Removed screws, but couldn’t “pull out the latch”. Is it possible this has somehow got stuck over the years?

Thanks
You did remove the handle first?
If it’s in very tight would explain its failure to operate correctly.

Hi

Yes, removed handle, then latch retaining screws. However, it won’t budge. Guess I need to pull catch with pliers etc. How bizarre.

Thanks

Removed screws
If it is stuck, put the old spindle back in, and tap it with a small hammer, from both sides, towards the door edge, and this will drive the latch out. Perhaps it is stuck with old paint.

If it is stuck, put the old spindle back in, and tap it with a small hammer, from both sides, towards the door edge, and this will drive the latch out. Perhaps it is stuck with old paint.

Cheers

Will give it a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back