My Knob Is Jamming My Fingers!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If that got your attention...

I've been hanging doors, and we've moved from handles to (door) knobs. All is fine inside the room, but because of the placing of the square hole that takes the bar that connects inside and outside, I feel the knob is too close to the frame and can catch fingers as the door is closed. I believe the latch is a standard size at about 65 mm long. Are deeper/longer ones available; or do I need to a) chill out about it, or b) go back to handles? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
that's an easy one.

you need longer latches. Three inches at the very least. You can get them up to six inches to match the style of lock often seen on Edwardian and later Victorian homes (it looks best on a traditional panelled door)

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...51-127mm-backset-satin-stainless-steel-393829 this sort of thing traditionally has a knob.

Ironmongerydirect have a good selection of tubular latches including long ones. The yellow Altro ones are delivered with a brass or other metal foreend depending which you order. They have a good strong spring and seem nice quality. There are various makes.
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?searchtext=tubular latch &fl=brand:altro
I got some to match my horizontal mortice sashlocks on doors not needing a lock.

They also sell a matching tubular deadbolt such as you might use on a bathroom.

The tubular ones do not require a huge mortice cut out of the door, like a sashlock does.

I have an 80mm on one door, it is not enough with a 55mm doorknob.

Sponsored Links
you'd better keep away from the plumbers.

If you've already already cut the door for a 65mm latch then you'll be limited to how far back you can go without showing the cutting already done to the door..

Common problem, Ive had loads of customers wanting a knob rather than handle.

They forget a knob only works with a large set back lock positioned on a mid rail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back