Indoor switch for outdoor power socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help confirm what the regs are for the following situation. I have moved into a new property which has an outdoor power socket but no switch inside to control power to it. Is there a regulation or anything to say that there should be as I'm not happy that the power is permanently on.

I have raised this with the builder who passed it back to their electrical contractors whose response was...."none of the other house have one and to our knowledge there isn't a regulation!".....not very reassuring !

I have concerns with the electrical contractors as we have already found a lighting circuit which had been connected to 2 breakers in the CU and have already replaced 12 light bulbs in 3 months

Should I have also received a certificate for the electrical installation under the new regs ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you got an NHBC certificate for the property?

Have you got any other paperwork?

If you have an NHBC certificate, call them and/or the builder and ask them to provide copies of all the necessary paperwork.

There is no requirement I know of that states isolation is required for an external socket outlet, though it is handy if you want to isolate it when not in use.

As for the lamp failure, it depends on what brand lamps they were, how often they are switched on/off etc...

Over-voltage can shorten lamp life, and buying 230V lamps will mean a short life too.

Thanks for the reply securespark, the property is covered by NHBC hence will speak to them/builder about paperwork.

The lamps that have blown to date are the original GE brand and then the ones I used to replace were wicks own. I have been told to try Osram in future. The circuits have been checked and we were told the circuit feeding the kitchen was on maximum load due to the number of 240v halogen bulbs which may account for some but we have had others go outside the property and upstairs which are on different circuits.

Shame about the isolation of the outside socket as I'm really not keen to leave it in a permanently on state for safety reasons and I wanted to push it back to the builders to fit one. I guess I'll have to get a qual electrician in as I assume this would be governed by the new regs and the socket is on the kitchen wall.
Not only that, anyone could plug something in especially if I'm on holiday etc for a while.

Thanks again for your response.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back