induction hob on a 13A spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

had a quick search for this, but couldn't find anything.

i have been told that you can install an induction hob on a spur from a 13A socket.

personally i think this is a load of bull.... !

the hob is rated at 7200w but i cannot find any mention of it requiring a 30A or 45A source in the installation manuals.

thanks for your help

Regards (73's)

Chris

Sponsored Links
no you can't

A 13A plug can supply about 3000 watts max

7200watts = 31 amps so you will need a separate 6mm cable run from a spare fuseway in your consumer unit & fused at 32amps.

In the kitchen it will need an isolator switch max 2metres from the hob.

This work is notifiable so u need to do this or call in a registered electrician to do it for you.

Or get a gas hob.....

thanks for the speedy reply :D
much appreciated.

unfortunately, i do not have a spare fuseway in my fuse box.

there is plenty of room to install another one.

can i take a "tap" off of one of the other fuse boxes ?

Regards (73's)

Chris

Sponsored Links
please see picture below (hopefully this will work ! )

img0766mt1.th.jpg

That looks like 4 separate units there, 2 large CU's & two small ones?

Why so many & what are all the circuits?

Can you make space?

EG: put a bell tranny on a fused spur off the ring final & use that way for the hob?

That MEM metalclad unit next to the meter?

It seems to be fed from the CU..

If it is, depending on the load & whether or not it has its own fuseway in the Wylex board, you could refeed from elsewhere & use that spare way for your hob.

As I say, tell us what all the circuits are for.

not sure what feeds what.....
moved into this property about 1 month ago !

will investigate further.......

many thanks for your help folks :D

Sure thing but be careful out there.

From your photo i spy a 6mm cable from the right hand board and a 10mm(?) from the left hand board. These will be feeding high current devices of some sort. Cooker and a power shower maybe?

The installation itself needs a darn good tidy up.

Start off by making a schedule of what fuse and switch feeds what and the power consumption of each.

If you are pulling fuses out then turn off the main switch first!

Do come back and give us a list and maybe you can get a drop more advice.

Oooh I spy MICC!

And I would start saving for a new consumer unit. What you have looks safe enough, but it needs a good tidy up and does not meet current regulations.

When did they stop making those MK surface mount sockets? :LOL:

Also, I am slightly worried that there appears to be no earth conductor entering the left hand fuse box.

As said by the others, find out & note down what is on each fuse. & I would start thinking about saving for a new consumer unit, as with a new cu you can have mcbs for the circuits, & also there would be one main isolator for the whole house.

As Steve says it looks like there is no main earth going into the left hand side consumer unit. Also your earth bonding may need upgrading or fitting, if there is no bonding fitted at the moment.

Just out of interest, what is that pyro feeding (The pyro is the bare round copper wire coming out of the right cu)

Just out of interest, what is that pyro feeding (The pyro is the bare round copper wire coming out of the right cu)

no idea what it feeds.

it is not bare wire as far as i can tell...

it appears to be wire enclosed in a steel tubing.

as for what each fuse does, not sure as yet.....
there is a cooker isolator, two power showers, a burgular alarm, as well as the usual lights and sockets.....

could i double up on the upstairs and downstairs lighting on one fuse ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back