Info required about buying balanced flue gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
Had a plumber diagnose a faulty fan pressure switch on my gas fire today, but he pointed out that our room is generally cold due to the way the existing fire flues straight out the wall and lets cold air in when the fire is not on.

He recommends I buy a balanced flue gas fire to replace the faulty one which will also stop cold air coming in via the flue.

My questions are, what do I need to check before buying one, are they a direct swap in to the existing fireplace & outside vent, and where can I buy one for under £500?

P1000579_zps8trjgasl.jpg

Excuse the lack of hole in the vent. I've taped over it for now to stop cold air coming in until the fire is fixed.
P1000578_zpsu4e3hfpy.jpg

Sponsored Links
last one of these fan assisted flue type fires (horizontal) I fitted, it felt warmer outside standing beside the terminal than in front of the cozy red glow...

Yes there is a noticeable breeze coming in from the flue.
The upshot is that I need to know what type of gas fire to replace it with?

Sponsored Links
valor dream is a nice balanced flue fire. i recently changed a fan flue fire for one of these and it was a pretty straight forward swap. and it doesn't need a vent. you won't get a decent fire for £500 though. the dream was just under £600

Paragon do a power flue fire with a fan incorporating a flap which closes when fire is off.
An excellent idea but nowhere near sub £500.
Balanced flue fires are more efficient but beware most will have stained windows within a couple of years and expensive to replace. Will probably struggle under 500

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back