Information on manifolds (central heating)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

My friend is having an extension in a couple of months time and this will consist of 8 new rooms (both upstairs and downstairs). He currently has a combi boiler located downstairs and a manifold located upstairs that supplies the current radiators in the house. The current manifold has not got anymore available slots so how will he be able to accomadate the new additional 8 radiators? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but i'm still learning and reading up on plumbing.

Jibbs

Sponsored Links
The 22mm pipes that supply the manifolds will be extended and new manifolds will be fitted, that's if the new rads are going to be fed via manifolds.

A more pressing concern, is the boiler capable of supplying the extra load of the new rads!

Cheers.

The simple answer is add another manifold.
However in reality that won't be the solution at all, because is the existing boiler suitable for supplying another 8 rooms? What about pipe sizes, pump size etc. Is a combi really the best solution for such a large property?

Sponsored Links
The simple answer is add another manifold.
However in reality that won't be the solution at all, because is the existing boiler suitable for supplying another 8 rooms? What about pipe sizes, pump size etc. Is a combi really the best solution for such a large property?

I do believe the boiler he had before was a 28kilowatt. Now i think it's a 32kilowatt. The current pipe sizes are 22mm running into the manifold with 10mm flow and return pipes. So you're saying buy a completely new manifold or use another one with the existing manifold?

As well as above ^^^^

Can anyone direct me to some good reading material on this as when i google the subject, i get bombared with manifold sale items and information on underfloor heating.

Jibbs

The things you need to be considering and reading up on are the heat loss for the rooms & house as a whole, from which you will know what sizes of radiator are required for each room, and therefore the sizes of pipes supplying those radiators, the size of the pipes to the mnanifold(s) and the size of boiler(s) required.

read part L of building regs.

should cover seperate zone required due to building improvements etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back