Inlet valve leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5A875599-EF40-48A0-830A-70DD82F28DDE.jpeg
Brand new close coupled toilet and has been leaking from below the inlet valve from the get go. I removed whole valve and retightened to the max I could with no luck. What else could I do?

Sponsored Links
You need to take the valve out and check the inside of the cistern. Is the sealing washer conical and is it the right way around inside the cistern? Don't overtighten as it can squash the sealing washer too. It may need a little fillet of silicone, if it won't seal properly.

It’s conical and the bottom of the cone will be married to the bottom of the cistern. I’ll try a bead of silicone there.

The conical part of the seal would be down towards the hole in the cistern. If it still won't seal up then yup a little silicone. Just be careful as the silicone can lubricate the rubber and make it squidge about, so don't over tighten.

Sponsored Links
Never rely on washers alone, the ceramic is always too rough. Apply silicone, moderate tightening and leave 24 Hrs to set. Use a bucket for flushing.

Doesn’t appear to be any damage. I’ll leave the silicone 24 hours to set this time.

1. Are you sure the leak is from inside the cistern? A poor connection between the threaded shank of the inlet valve (black plastic) and the connector nut on the inlet pipe (chrome) can cause water to spray upwards, giving the appearance of a leak from the cistern.
2. If you can, turn off the water to the inlet valve with a full cistern. Remove the connection and dry up any residual water. If it still leaks, its definitely the cistern, if not, its the connector.
3. There should be a fibre or rubber washer inside the connector nut to make a seal with the bottom of the threaded shank.

1. Are you sure the leak is from inside the cistern? A poor connection between the threaded shank of the inlet valve (black plastic) and the connector nut on the inlet pipe (chrome) can cause water to spray upwards, giving the appearance of a leak from the cistern.
2. If you can, turn off the water to the inlet valve with a full cistern. Remove the connection and dry up any residual water. If it still leaks, its definitely the cistern, if not, its the connector.
3. There should be a fibre or rubber washer inside the connector nut to make a seal with the bottom of the threaded shank.

Points 1 & 2 I'm sure about. For point 3, there was no sign of any washer supplied that will marry between the external nut and the button of the cistern, is that was what you meant?

Are you sure the leak is from inside the cistern
You can see the drip top right of the black inlet where the nut joins the cistern - bit out of focus 4 sure or is it my eyes .... water connection looks dry tho
there was no sign of any washer

You wouldn't usually have a washer on the dry side, the flanged nut sometimes has a centering ridge that sits inside the cistern hole and lines the inlet up.

If its a cheap one (the B & Q £38 job for instance) I had problems with one of those, the casting was off, the hole where the water inlet went was too near the side of the cistern for it to seal properly, as i tightened it the whole valve unit was pushing sideways. Took it back, went through another 8 on a pallet before finding a good one

Leaks appears to have been sorted with the above advice. Many thanks everyone. I hope the silicone fix will last!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back