Inline backdraft shutter questions ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrician has placed inline backdraft shutters (eg. https://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/4-inch-inline-backdraught-shutter-284-p.asp) into the flexible hose of the wet room vents. He has basically pushed one end of flexible hose over one end of the plastic shutter and attached another piece of flexible hose to the other side of the shutter which is then poorly attached to the outside vent cover. So effectively 2 pieces of flexible hose with the shutter connecting them. (When i tested the shutter movement, the flexible hose came off it). Would that be the correct way to attach to the flexible hose? (Ive not seen any videos using flexible hose but would have assumed it should be one long piece of flexible hose with the shutter pushed up inside it).
I believe it has been positioned the correct way up - the bottom half of the vent opens from inside the house when blowing outwards. Please advise if that is not correct.
He has also placed the shutter very close to the external vent cover, rather than close to the fan mechanism. Is that correct?
The shutters in my ensuite and bathroom can be heard constantly banging as that side of the house is a very windy location. It disturbs my sleep. Any suggestions for dampening that plastic banging on plastic noise, without interfering too much with the effectiveness of the vents or the shutters?
A million thanks in advance for your guidance.

Sponsored Links
Those gravity flaps are rubbish, only marginally better than the ones you fit on the outside. Get a fan with a real built-in motorised shutter- yes they cost more and you have to clean them but they do the job and they don't rattle and bang in the wind (guess how I know this).
Flexi ducting is always going to compromise the effectiveness of the fan.
EDIT Those flappy things will rattle less the further away they are from outside so fitting them nearer the fan might improve matters.

thanks for the advice oldbutnotdead :).. As they have all only been fitted a matter of days I wouldnt consider changing them for the near future .. really Id like to know if the electicians should be making any changes before i make final payment to them. (I certainly wish id chosen the vents instead of leaving it with them . arggh!). so for the moment just looking for a workaround for the banging (its only in the bathroom and ensuite that its a problem as I dont hear the others in the house), and whether they should have fitted a single piece of flexible tube, and whether they should relocate the shutter to nearer the fan (a few vents are at height so not something ill be able to tackle myself retrospectively, unfortunately).

I'm not sure which trade would be the most appropriate to fit extract fans- yes you need electrician to connect it but there's more to it than that.
If you've got ducts falling off connectors that they supplied and fitted they should sort that out. While they're doing that you can ask them to put the shutter nearer the fan but not sure telling them is within scope unless the paperwork with the shutter advises having it near the fan rather than near the exit

Sponsored Links
funnily enough they asked to fit the extraction vents so that they could sign them off with the full rewire they have carried out on my home. And as Im being charged a decent sum for that bit of work, Id naturally assumed they would/should know what they were doing. It strikes me that the vent flexible tube should be a single piece connected securely at each end to the extractor fan and the external grill (not relying on the non-fixed movable shutter), otherwise i imagine the moisture being extracted will pool in the brickwork where the gaps are in the tubing ... which would then make it a very expensive painful exercise as now i have big holes in my brickwork making the rooms with vents cold and noisy .. . unless im thinking illogically. Ill broach it with them and patiently listen to them trying to fob me off as they have done with so many other things .. :)

Always better for airflow to use rigid duct where you can.
Flexi connections need big jubilee clips. Not duct tape.
And assumption is the mother of all f*ckups- just like assume makes an ass of u and me.
It is annoying paying good money and finding out too late that the alleged tradesman either knows no better or just doesn't give a toss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back