Inline switch for side lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my garage a cable on the lighting circuit comes down wired into a side light used to illuminate a bench. Other than a switch on the lamp itself it is not switched, ie you must turn off the light circuit to remove power.

I want to add a switch and I don't want to crawl in the roof to rewire it all so is it safe to put in an in-line/pass through switch rather than have a switched live. In other words I'd wire this across the existing live wire and not touch the neutral.

I suppose more an isolator than a normal switch? Does an isolator do anything more than just switch the live wire?

Sponsored Links
An isolator disconnects both the line and the neutral conductors.
Light switches normally only disconnect the line, do your plan to use an in line switch is fine.

The other idea, maybe simpler, is to put a single plug socket and wire a plug on the light. I can switch it and of course isolate/move it by unplugging.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Use a 5a type plug and socket so no one will plug in a high power device.
Yeah, I'd probably put a big label on it too. Thanks for the reminder on the fuse. Might even go lower it's just led lights

Oh sorry, yes I have seen those now I think about it. Thanks I misread.

OP
It is perfectly acceptable to have a 13A socket on a lighting circuit. Save yourself the extra cost of buying a round pin socket and plug and label the socket as lighting only.

As SS has stated
OP
It is perfectly acceptable to have a 13A socket on a lighting circuit. Save yourself the extra cost of buying a round pin socket and plug and label the socket as lighting only.
In fact, BS7671 actually lists a 13A socket as one of the approved attachments to a lighting circuit.
The socket is entirely under your control, even if you plug a MIG welder in to the socket the only thing that will happen is that the lighting circuit MCB will trip.
@d000hg ignore Winston1, he keeps on and on and on about this. This is bad practise only in Winston's version of reality. Note he is not an electrician....
He has been warned by the moderator on many occasions to stop boring everybody.

A plug in table lamp, I guess.

Maybe a strip light?

Whichever, it has a switch built in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back