Inop brake lights

PS where do you get these replacements....and are they Approved?

What a Berk I am - see here

Sponsored Links
Gave up having the wifes jeep serviced at a dealer when the 3yr warranty expired

When I took it to a friend (who looks after my American Cars) he says NO.1 Spark plug had never been changed (as it's awkward) and they have bodged a couple of re-calls (the exhaust and front discs)
And they charge in excess of £80 an hour for the pleasure !!!!!

Yes I will name Molborough Jeep ! And they broke my ABS and denied they went anywhere near the wheels ?? despite it being in for a service !!!!

As for the LED lights being "approved" I doubt they would meet the required standards as layed out in the "vehicle lighting regulations" as they seem pretty directional and may not give the required viewing angle. However, they would probably pass an M.O.T as they only check colour and functionality. Problems I have with that, as my cars (U.S.A.) all have RED indicators !!!

Also beware, it's not always possible to replace the indicators as I believe most cars use relays that rely on the bulbs current drain, and LED's have a significant lower drain and therefore wont flash. You need to put in a resistor.

And if the wife makes a mistake driving the Grand Sioux or wot ever, wiping out a family .. your last worry will be lights .... Fancy the good lady living with that on her conscience, and it would be !!
Fink the lads should think a little deeper !! They are not alone !!

P

P.S. said:
as my cars (U.S.A.) all have RED indicators !!!

They do red ones....

What? The one in Isleworth? Drove past there the other day and there was a guy on the forecourt ranting to a suit. Was that you??????

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
P.S. said:
as my cars (U.S.A.) all have RED indicators !!!

They do red ones....

What? The one in Isleworth? Drove past there the other day and there was a guy on the forecourt ranting to a suit. Was that you??????

What do you mean, "they do red ones" ?

was that me :LOL: no, not me, but not surprised some was having a go at them !

mildmanneredjanitor said:
On the new fancy buses we have down here now, they have clusters of LED's which seems like a very good idea to me. No single point of failure etc.

I think this is the way forward.

We have the same buses here. I regularly take the bus into town when drinking (saves leaving the car there) and have found those fancy buses are even air-conditioned. Plus they have some trick low-rider style hydraulic suspension. But the driver only ever uses that to impress old ladies with zimmer frames, never makes the bus start hopping at the traffic lights. ;)

I attended a lecture at the University of Surrey (aka Guildford Poly) 6 or 7 years back on the future of LEDs. They were predicting LEDs would be used for all vehicle lights, including headlights, within x years. Sure enough, a prototype of the new Ford Focus was exhibited with LED headlights at a show.

P.S. said:
Problems I have with that, as my cars (U.S.A.) all have RED indicators !!!

I've wondered about this one in the past: how do you get around this? Are you allowed to keep the flashing-taillights-instead-of-separate-indicators system just so long as you don't have it registered in the UK?

There are some American cars I love: Corvette Stingray being the best (I class the GT40 as English :D ). But, in my limited experience of current US cars they do seem to be about 10 years behind Euro/Jap car technology. I read on a US car website about how heat reflective glass is just coming into the mainstream in the states, yet it has been commonplace over here for a few years. And one minor detail I noticed in the US is that they don't have repeater lights (it was a long journey :LOL: ). So no little indicators mounted on the front wings. Now cars are being sold there with the amazing new innovation of... wing mirror mounted repeaters.

P.S. said:
What do you mean, "they do red ones" ?

On that link I posted, they advertise led replacement lamps in red that you can use to replace blown indicator lamps.

securespark said:
.... On that link I posted, they advertise led replacement lamps in red that you can use to replace blown indicator lamps.

Who reads links ? Who reads manuals ? :cry:

AdamW said:
P.S. said:
Problems I have with that, as my cars (U.S.A.) all have RED indicators !!!

I've wondered about this one in the past: how do you get around this? Are you allowed to keep the flashing-taillights-instead-of-separate-indicators system just so long as you don't have it registered in the UK?

There are some American cars I love: Corvette Stingray being the best (I class the GT40 as English :D ). But, in my limited experience of current US cars they do seem to be about 10 years behind Euro/Jap car technology. I read on a US car website about how heat reflective glass is just coming into the mainstream in the states, yet it has been commonplace over here for a few years. And one minor detail I noticed in the US is that they don't have repeater lights (it was a long journey :LOL: ). So no little indicators mounted on the front wings. Now cars are being sold there with the amazing new innovation of... wing mirror mounted repeaters.

10 years behind ? They had electric windows, roofs, seats, auto-dipping lights back in the 50's. Heads-up displays in the early 80's and their strict emission controls some of the cleanest engines available ! (cat converters in the 70's along with unleaded petrol) They had high-level third brake lights 10 years before the UK, so much so that they were illegal and had to be taken off if bringing a vehicle into the UK with one fitted ! It was though they would DAZZEL other drivers !!!

I never understood that a 1960's Morris Minor with the indicator the size of pea, and about as bright is ok, but an American car with over 100 watts of red flashing YES I'M TURNING is illegal !! I try to keep my cars as stock as possible, but had to forego side repeaters on two of them. Three still have all red lenses at the back.

There is good, bad and damn right stupid legislation from both countries... you pays ya money..................

AdamW said:
We have the same buses here. I regularly take the bus into town when drinking (saves leaving the car there) and have found those fancy buses are even air-conditioned. Plus they have some trick low-rider style hydraulic suspension. But the driver only ever uses that to impress old ladies with zimmer frames, never makes the bus start hopping at the traffic lights. ;)

Yes, but ours have really trick pieces of stainless tubing mounted on the front nearside upperdeck to protect the coachwork from the hanging gardens of babylon that line our roads! ;) So Nahhh!

Are they trying to make these buses look like vauxhall nova's with their slammed suspension trick lighting and overly large exhausts??? Just add neon washer jets and I'd be hard pushed to tell the difference! :p

P.S. said:
They had high-level third brake lights 10 years before the UK, so much so that they were illegal and had to be taken off if bringing a vehicle into the UK with one fitted ! It was though they would DAZZEL other drivers !!!

There was actually a question of legality in the UK over Volvos some years ago, they were bringing in third brake lights in the late 80s. As you say, people thought they would dazzle people :LOL:

From what you say, the case is that you are allowed to drive them on UK plates with red indicator lenses? Thing is, 99% of drivers would see the flash and go "ah, an indicator, he is pulling into the otuside lane". There would be the odd dozy get who would think "ah, red. Must be braking, I will cut around.". Smack! :LOL:

If you haven't been already, you should visit The American Carriage Company in Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey. I went to school across the road from it and spent many a lunch hour gazing through the windows at the cars in the showroom. 350ci... Droooool!

Of course, in a few years this might be academic. In the same way that France abandoned wee-coloured headlights for the superior clear versions and most countries now use the UK-style numberplates (albeit yellow front and rear), the US might decide to go for amber indicators in future. Stranger things have happened! ;)

Nope, legally not allowed to have red indicators on UK plates, but is ok for 3 months before you have to register it. "Legally" having amber indicators are not legal unless they conform to certain conditions, such as brightness, viewing angle, and the major one - having to have "E" marked lenses !!!!

ACC Kingston :LOL: Dont make me laugh (but you already did) Fine, yes, go take a look, but do not part with your money with them - The American car world is quite small and anyone involved knows almost everyone - They are "known" and it is not favorable - nuff said

Just had an SUV shipped over, and already had amber indicators, but these had to be changed for "E" marked lenses alse it wouldn't pass it's SVA (SVA - bit like a big MOT, something imports and kit cars have to endure to make sure they meet UK spec and roadworthyness)

P.S. said:
Just had an SUV shipped over, and already had amber indicators, but these had to be changed for "E" marked lenses alse it wouldn't pass it's SVA (SVA - bit like a big MOT, something imports and kit cars have to endure to make sure they meet UK spec and roadworthyness)

Single Vehicle Approval: I used to read kit car and hotrod mags all the time! ;)

Can't you just write the letter E on your lenses? :D

Was unlikely to ever buy anything from ACC. I occasionally look at their website and realised that their pricing strategy seems to be "Take the US sale price in dollars, double that number and put a pound sign in front of it". If someone could make it cheap to buy and run a Dodge Ram SRT-10 or Cadillac EXT I will be sorely tempted! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back