Insect found whilst knocking down partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst knocking down a partition wall, every now and then I'd see a little insect. Very small - less than a cm long. Looked worm like with legs.

I only saw about 3 of them all day, but just wondering what they are.

Sponsored Links
http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/bristletails-silverfish-and-firebrats

Thysanurids - primitive order of insects - they live in dark places under flooring, skirtings etc, eat cellulose and fungal threads (so they used to really like wallpapered homes) Move fast when disturbed unless cold or short of energy.

Pretty much harmless. Reduce cracks where they breed and hide with fillers and caulking.

Sponsored Links
Yeah that's it! ... and i've heard the name silverfish before.

Someone told me some weird story years ago about his bath being full of silverfish, like they were coming out of the taps or something. I never really questioned him about it further or looked into what they were... didn't have internet back then. Sounds like he was talking rubbish.

Yeah that's it! ... and i've heard the name silverfish before.

Someone told me some weird story years ago about his bath being full of silverfish, like they were coming out of the taps or something. I never really questioned him about it further or looked into what they were... didn't have internet back then. Sounds like he was talking rubbish.
They fall in the bath and too steep and smooth to get out , not thru taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back