Inspection Chamber holding water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new build and I lifted the access on an inspection point to check it and I found that it has sewage sitting in it. The amount is about 2 inches deep and it backs into the feed into it (which eventually goes under the house inot an internal fall pipe) so there is likely sewage sitting under the house.
When the toilet that feeds into it is flushed it does move away eventually (the additional water pushes the soil on essentially exchanging it for new).
The chamber only services an ensuite so it is not used that much.
The builder has stated that because it is not blocked they are not going to remedy it. But it seems that this can't be right it is bound to smell eventually and in the worse case if it leaks will cause foul to undermine the wall.
Any suggestions about progressing this with the builder. Is it accepable to leave it like this.

Sponsored Links
A photo would help. It’s possible you have a partial block. When you flush the loo does the level rise?

Thanks for response. Picture attached. The water does rise and has wave in it when flush hits.

Attachments

• 20210722_134814.jpg
    20210722_134814.jpg
    743.8 KB · Views: 742
Sponsored Links
To me it looks like there is cement/concrete in the bottom chamber... members as Woody says it wants sorting.

Try filling a large container with water (dustbin etc) then dropping it all in one go into the chamber this may clear the blockage (do it a couple of times). Unfortunately if its down to the builder allowing cement/concrete to enter the pipe it may need jetting or even being excavated and replaced. Is the builder part of the NHBC scheme?

Possible blockage or backfill as suggested - can’t really tell from that photo, sorry. Log it as a defect ASAP.

Thanks all. It is with nhbc. They have jetted it out a couple of times (there have been some issues further down the street).
I'll keep on their back, we have raised it as an issue and they have just recently come back saying they aren't going to fix it because it isn't blocked.
Interesring on the left of the picture the feed coming in from the left seems to be coming from a land drain.
The survey followed it up and it seemed to stop in an inspection Chamber (which was covered) and was right in the middle of the front garden.
Anyway I appreciate your comments it has given me the impetus to keep on their backs.

Thanks all. It is with nhbc. They have jetted it out a couple of times (there have been some issues further down the street).
I'll keep on their back, we have raised it as an issue and they have just recently come back saying they aren't going to fix it because it isn't blocked.
  • Issues down the street could be wipes.
  • Have they confirmed it’s not a backfall?

I think the jet air man said to me that it was a dip in the pipe, which I think is what is termed as a back fall.
I don't know whether that was followed up in his report to the builder.
The builder hasn't confirmed that it isn't a backfall. It has been jetted out multiple times though so it's hard to imagine it being anything else I think.

Suggest you make "discrete" inquiries with all of the neighbours as to potential drainage issues, see how many have had an issue and how many have similar problems, which in turn points towards a design / and / or a build defect.

If the Builder / developer will not give you any "useful" information [and why hand you a stick to bear him with???] If it were me??? I would bite the bullet and instruct a CCTV survey of your own, and get the recorded images for your records and in case you end up in a dispute with the developer.

From your description as all above something aint right here, the inspection chamber should be left damp. no standing water at all, as all above it points to a back fall in the run under the property, only a CCTV will provide the results, what you are looking for is standing water in the pipe as the camera is fed down the pipe.

Ken.

What about the the chambers further along the system are they showing water retention. If the pipes are serving more than one property then the local water company will have taken on their responsibility. Perhaps they may be able to apply leverage on the builder if they are aware of possible future issues with the system through non compliance with their drainage specifications.

I'll ask. We are the third house down a driveway, so I dont think the drains get adopted until they get to the adopted road.

The other 2 houses have all had blockages which has resulted in the surveys being done by the builder and the flushing out of the whole drains. Hence this making me think it is a backfall rather than a blockage.

Because we are the end of the street (the first to discharge into the drain) we have never had a blockage.

But the water retention it is a making us think the chamber isn't installed right, and will cause problems going forward, on the worst case for the house itself.

Drains responsibility of water company as soon as they serve 2 or more properties, I think the legislation came about around 2012 along with private pumping stations

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back