Installation of inspection chamber.

26 Aug 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hello all,
This is my first post I made a search to make sure I'm not asking something that has not already been answered, I apologise in advance if this is the case. This site has been a wealth of info and never had to post before because its always been answered on a search, great site!

I've had an extension built recently to the rear of my property and the was built over the main private sewer inspection chamber which was sealed and screeded then tiled over, the extension was built for my new kitchen.
I would like to put a new inspection chamber inline with the current one which would be situated down my alley way next to my kitchen.
Once the inspection pit has been installed I hope to put my kitchen waste to it ,as well as have it as the new main rodding point.
I would just like to know if I'm allowed to install the inspection chamber myself as the prefabricated ones are available and would this come under building regs, if so what do I need to keep in mind to make sure I don't fall foul :) of them.
If its more complicated than I first perceive then whos the best people to contact to install the inspection chamber and water/air test it?

I hope I've been thorough in my explanation, but probably not.
Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AFAIK, installing or adapting existing drains is notifiable works. If you lived in any of the surrounding LA's to me you would have to submit an application the council.

However, some recent postings on here state that their local BCO's were not interested.

So the advice would be to phone your local council and ask them

If you by a preformed chamber, then its just a case of cutting the pipe and fitting it.

A general builder will normally do this work.

Can't you just fit a rodding eye?
Thanks for the reply, I'd let the BCO know anyway I think just to cover myself.
I was going to fit a preformed myself and I've dug the hole aready to get an idea so its just a matter of fitting the chamber and if its easy then I'll go for it, I'm just not sure how you go about testing it if I'm asked.

A roding eye is no good as I using one of the inlets to the the chamber for kitchen waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links