Inspection & testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Would instruments would you suggest for Inspection and Testing domestic installations? Are there any good value ones with 2 or 3 functions built in? Any to avoid or any you would recommend please?

Sponsored Links
Do you want something to use occasionally as a DIYer, or are you a pro electrician who will be using it day-in day-out - it makes a difference.

If the former, then one of the all-in-one units like the Metrel Eurotest might be suitable. If the latter, you may well be better off with separate units.

I'm the former - and I have the earlier model of the Metrel which is fine for my usage - maybe three or four jobs a year.

Sponsored Links
wow not cheap are they. Do they have to be re-calibrated annually too? Yes for pro use, to do periodic inspection testing and to assist with some fault finding as well

They are not cheap but would you rather have something reliable and not likely to blow up if it malfunctions (or you do something daft) ;)
I think the annual calibration thing depends on which self cert scheme, some allow you to do regular checks.
Personally mine goes for annual calibration and I am not a member of a self cert scheme.

wow not cheap are they. Do they have to be re-calibrated annually too? Yes for pro use, to do periodic inspection testing and to assist with some fault finding as well

Welcome to our world...... :LOL:

Add £50-75 per year for calibration (or better if your nearest electrical wholesaler hosts a calibration day where you can drop it off)

ok thanks for your help you've been very helpful!

what do you usually use your for mostly? Do you use all functions?

Not sure what you mean, I have a Megger MFT 1552 (now discontinued) which has Low ohms, IR, Volts, EFLI, PSSC, RCD. These are all needed for the tests required for commissioning circuits and EICRs (PIRs).
The RCD ramp and auto test are nice to have too.

sorry what I meant is when you say do a periodic inspection for a letting agent or when someone's selling their house, what tests do you usually do and use your meter for personally?

All of them get used bar the RCD ramp test which is a fault finding aid.

I have found it's the loop impedance tester which seems to vary a lot from make to make.

Many are designed not to trip the RCD but of these it seems some live up to the makers claims others still trip some RCD's.

At home I have two identical RCD's both also test out the same with a RCD tester the one running most of the house does not trip with my loop impedance tester the other one does even though it supplies a lot less. My son's loop impedance tester however has no problem.

I have come across this again and again where although they all claim not to trip a RCD some seem far better than others at not tripping the RCD.

I am sure there is a horror story to be told with every make of tester. With me Siemens caused me problems but I think if a survey was made one would find the same problem with every make.

Getting an all singing dancing single tester has both plus and minus. The Robin one I used had the ability to test earth rods and if one was to include this tester in the group then it worked out a lot cheaper than buying individual testers. However it is rare to need to test an earth rod where there is not an already earthed supply to compare it with. If you work with generators then it may be required or if you wire houses before the mains are installed and need to submit paperwork before power is available.

But normally one will just have three testers and they all fit same case which can also carry all the leads you need. Should one then fail you only need to replace one.

The problem is people do not like to admit the tester they have is not very good and so only way is to use them. It was always said when buying electronic goods if you buy one of the tried and trusted makes no one is going to blame you if it goes wrong. So I have always selected Robin not because they are the best but because I would be unlikely to be blamed if they failed.

I think many electrical firms will do the same. I am sure some of the lesser know makes like TestMate are fine but do you really want to take the chance?

What I have realised it seems only the all in one units have an auto store and down load function working for a large organisation they realised it's easy to guess the readings and when on bonus claim to test things you have not and by using the data store it means it's not as easy to cheat. Therefore large firms often go for all singing dancing version so there employees can't cheat. Or at least it's harder.

So low ohms, high ohms, RCD, Loop impedance all used. Prospective short circuit current is really same as loop impedance it just does the calculation for you. Very rare to use the earth rod tester. I normally use the loop impedance meter to test an earth rod as it's such a pain running out the cables and knocking in the test probes. Often one can't get the required distance from the rod to be able to use them.

to the op, would you like to explain the reasons for your questions a little bit more. I dont understand why you are asking these questions related to PIRs or EIRCs. Surely you know what tests are required? What instruments do you use at present and what test do you perform at present

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back