Inspiration for Internal Dividing Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first ever post on a forum so be kind.

I need some inspiration to help me decide what options are open to me to divide my living room and dining room. I have a large kitchen/diner that also goes into the living room (in an L shape) and I would like a divider/partition that will allow me to close off the living room from the dining room to create two separate rooms, but then open fully for entertaining etc.
The opening is approx 2.2m(h) x 3m(w) x 200mm (the thickness of the internal wall approx).
Is this something that needs to be bespoke or are there any products that I can buy off the shelf. I don't like standard French Doors and would like something with a modern look.
Concertina or sliding styles would be good.

Any help would be much appreciated. Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Harknsar said:
The opening is approx 2.2m(h) x 3m(w) x 200mm (the thickness of the internal wall approx).
What are the wall size on each side of the opening?

i did a job once that involved four 686mm (2'-3") doors. they were assembled in hinged pairs and fitted to an oversize casing.

two fitted one side and two the other. when closed you could either bolt the casing pair and use the outer pair as double doors, or bolt three and just have one master door.

incidentally the innermost 'working pair' were re-bated at the point where they closed together.

they were hinged in such a way as to allow them to be opened back to the wall on each side.

i think for this job the opening size was roughly 2800mm(w)x2000mm(h) in which the casing could be fixed.

Spooky. I'm doing a job like this next week.

Fit some folding doors, which will open to one side or both sides of the room, and you can fit whatever doors you like, or have some made to suit. They will fit most widths of openings - you just use more panels/doors

The problem with using standard doors, is that they will not reach the ceiling so need something above - but this impacts on the feeling of 'openess' when the doors are open. It may be better to get some panles made to full height of the room

Look at the sliding/folding door gear at www.pchenderson.co.uk or www.sdslondon.co.uk or www.hafele.com/uk.

Most merchants, including the sheds and Screwfix sell a system by Slik - see www.stormguard.co.uk/ProductsDoorGearFDG.html but these are really for light doors or wardrobes.

If you are doing to be using this often, then get a heavier duty system

Sponsored Links
Done one last year buying materials from woody link sdslondon, I put a another stud wall acting as a false wall with the sliding door inside which hide the door when opening.

Thanks for all the reply's. A great help.
All I need now is someone to do it or do you think a beginning DIYer like myself could tackle it, If so what would I need to watch out for?

The wall size on each side of the opening is approx 300mm one side and approx 1.75m other.

Parliament Hinges allow a door to open in and right back to the wall ;) got `em here @ home

Mate i had an opening of 1500 mm and fitted 2 sliding doors from coburn using there pocket hideaway kits, used 2 of the kits and built them into a stud partition so they slide away into the wall. This way they dont intrude into either room. WIll try to get a pic for you. But i would reccomend (sp been to pub) this as they work great.

Andy

Parliament Hinges allow a door to open in and right back to the wall

Good tip. I will have to investigate these myself as I will have a similar situation when I try and opem up my kitchen into the dining room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back