Install Garage personel door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a detached garage, constructed of breeze block, are there any regulations that prevent me having a personel door fitted at the side?

Sponsored Links
I have a detached garage, constructed of breeze block, are there any regulations that prevent me having a personel door fitted at the side?

if its an external wall i am fairly sure your ok
if it is a wall onto a dwelling[your house ]you need a 100mm " threshold" step to stop any fire or liquid passing

Big-all, The garage is 50ft away from the property. Am I correct in saying that this is quite an easy job for a trades man.

yes

If you get a proper strong door, with a BS deadlock on it, you will make it more difficult for ne'erdowells to break in. Ordinary garage doors are very insecure. I have added some bolts to the inside of the up-and-over door in mine, and fitted a good personal door.

If funds are short you can often get a solid second-hand house front-door on ebay or freegle.

Sponsored Links
Am I correct in saying that this is quite an easy job for a trades man.
There is an easy way and a correct way to cut a doorway into a brick wall.

The easy way is to take a 12" Stihl saw to the masonry and cut the opening in the hope that all the perp's line up.

The correct way is to toothe out the half bricks and have a proper return. Same with the internal blockwork. Only this will require dpc running up the abutment joint.

The lintel installation will be a faff but not too much of a problem for a seasoned pro'.

Noseall...Its great that people read half a post & then try to help..Many thanks to all.

Can someone send me a link for a suitable door, plain that can be painted. Wicks, Jewsons etc.
Thanks

OK I have had my door fitted & very nice it looks.
I have had this door fitted http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/164542/?source=123_75

I was going to paint it white, but it looks so nice as it is, natural.

Whilst it is exterior it is under a car port, so it will never get wet, what can I treat it with to keep it looking as it does, I also have soft water architrave round it.

How much did it cost to have the doorway constructed?

How much did it cost to have the doorway constructed?

Is that relevant to the finish I want on the door? I paid what was asked for, which I was happy to pay.

I want a greenhouse base laid & I wont pay what he wants for that.

Yes. It's relevant to the forum members.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back