install on main electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
i have split a house into two to make a shop downstairs and a flat up stair but the flat needs electrics and gas and i have put in for this to be installed, i would like to know if it is a case of i can chose where to put the meters or do they tell you where they are going

Sponsored Links
you can choose where you want to put the meter, might cost a bit though

I would expect the DNO to install the cutout and meter externally at ground floor level. It is then upto you where you put your CU etc.

I don't know about gas.

Sponsored Links
hi
i would also like to have key meters, but i would not have thought they could go outside otherwise you would have the keep opening the box outside.

Keymeters can go outside, at least gas can.
Are you aware that it is a lot more expensive? Keymeter I mean, not outside.

hi
do you know how much more about it would be, i was going to go for the key meter so the tenant could not run up a big bill and run off

Most suppliers don’t like keymeters so compared to what you could pay, it may be as much as 30%.
As long as you make sure the tenant gets the bill in his name, you got nothing to worry about anyway.

Nothing to worry about, that is, until your property becomes unattractive to tenants because the utility providers penalise them for the actions of previous occupants....

Are you aware that it is a lot more expensive? Keymeter I mean, not outside.

I would of thought it all depends on who the supplier is as to how much more a prepayment type meter will cost.

I was under the impression (in this area with the supplier I'm with) there isn't much between Prepayment and Direct debit depending on the tariff's of course. ;)

That is of course completely correct; supplier and tariff determine the final difference.
Don’t know how it is today, but for years the only people who took on token meters were local supplier, in London leb and bg, and other than that only calorgas as far as I am aware.
Fierce competition has probably improved what consumers get, though admittedly I have not checked recently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back