Install pipes at ceiling and feeding combi and rads from top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to replace a warm air heating system and a separate water heater with a combi boiler and radiators in my flat. It has a parquet floor on a concrete subfloor so routing the pipes round the flat under the floor is out of the question.
It would be easy enough to feed the pipes near to the ceiling but I am not sure about feeding the pipes in to the combi and radiators as these are normally fed from the bottom.
I think there are combis available that can be fed either from the bottom or the top (correct me if I am wrong) but what about the rads? Will I have to route both pipes to the bottom? I will be using vertical rads in every room so I am not sure how good this will look.
Are there any rads that have built in pipes bringing the feeds from the top to the bottom?

thanks for any advice,

D

Sponsored Links
Ours is a ground floor flat with solid floors. All our CH pipes from the combi to the rads are along the ceiling, dropping down in conenient corners.

It has worked perfectly for the past 10 years.

Sponsored Links
I think there are combis available that can be fed either from the bottom or the top (correct me if I am wrong)

Many boiler manufacturers produce a stand off frame kit to allow pipes to run up between the boiler and the wall to above.

http://www.lowcostplumbingsupplies.co.uk/remeha-stand-off-frame-30mm-p7338

http://www.heatingtrader.co.uk/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/24356.html?source=bec_24356

As dcawkwell has suggested, sometimes you can run plastic Speedfit type pipe through the W A ducts to pipe up rads. You only need 10mm pipe for individual rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back