Installation of lo carbon fan- electrician or builder?

I was going for a ventaxia lo carbon which i thought operated by itself when it detected humidity?

Sponsored Links
I was going for a ventaxia lo carbon which i thought operated by itself when it detected humidity?
Maybe.

I think a couple of the problems with (only) humidistat-controlled extractor fans (if that's what you're having) are that (a) by the time the humidistat has 'detected humidity' you'll probably already have a fair bit of condensation and (b) one can't switch it on manually if one wants to when humidity is low (e.g. to expell odours!). Maybe the one you plan to get has more control options than that (e.g. a manual 'on' over-ride).

Kind Regards, John

With regard to the rules and regulations, as I said, all Part F calls for is adequate ventilation for people in the building.

Presumably, that means that, without a window, a fan will be in the design and fitted. That has to be the end of the matter.

There can be no legal or other control over how the inhabitants connect or reconnect the fan, nor whether they ever switch it on.

Sponsored Links
Presumably, that means that, without a window, a fan will be in the design and fitted. That has to be the end of the matter. There can be no legal or other control over how the inhabitants connect or reconnect the fan, nor whether they ever switch it on.
That is all true. However, as I implied, there could have been (but presumably isn't) a requirement that, in the absence of an openable window, not only must a fan be fitted (to a new build etc.) but, as fitted, it would automatically come on when the light was switched on (with maybe addition manual and/or humidistat controls) - so that it would at least come on 'sometimes'.

After the house had been built, the owner could, of course, remove the wiring link to the light but, if the fan had been required at the time it was installed, that presumably would represent a non-compliance (to be picked up on subsequent EICRs etc.

However, there is (to the best of my knowledge) no such requirement, so the above is all about "how it could have been".

Kind Regards, John

That is all true. However, as I implied, there could have been (but presumably isn't) a requirement that, in the absence of an openable window, not only must a fan be fitted (to a new build etc.) but, as fitted, it would automatically come on when the light was switched on (with maybe addition manual and/or humidistat controls) - so that it would at least come on 'sometimes'.

After the house had been built, the owner could, of course, remove the wiring link to the light but, if the fan had been required at the time it was installed, that presumably would represent a non-compliance (to be picked up on subsequent EICRs etc.

However, there is (to the best of my knowledge) no such requirement, so the above is all about "how it could have been".

Kind Regards, John
And the point of all that "it isn't like this but it could have been" was what, exactly?

And the point of all that "it isn't like this but it could have been" was what, exactly?
The point was to indicate that EFLI was not really correct when he wrote (my emphasis):
EFLimpudence said:
There can be no legal or other control over how the inhabitants connect or reconnect the fan, nor whether they ever switch it on.
I was pointing out that there can be control over how the inhabitants connect or reconnect the fan (compliantly), which would be the case if there were, for example, a requirement for the fan to come on with the lights (and maybe also with some other controls).

Kind Regards, John

But there isn't.

If your aunt has balls she can be called your uncle.

But she hasn't, and therefore she can't be.

But there isn't. If your aunt has balls she can be called your uncle. But she hasn't, and therefore she can't be.
That analogy is totally different from the situation I was talking about.

Do you not agree that the government can exercise "legal or other control" over various aspects of your behaviour (should they so wish - e.g. making something illegal'), even if they are not currently doing it?

Kind Regards, John

Approved Document F said:
Controls
Intermittent extract

May be operated manually and/or automatically by a sensor (e.g. humidity, occupancy/usage, pollutant release). Humidity controls should not be used for sanitary accommodation as odour is the main pollutant.

In kitchens, any automatic control must provide sufficient flow during cooking with fossil fuel (e.g. gas) to avoid build-up of combustion products.

Any automatic control should have a manual override to allow the occupant to turn the extract on.

In a room with no openable window (i.e. an internal room) an intermittent extract fan should have a 15 minute overrun. In rooms with no natural light, the fans could be controlled by the operation of the main room light switch

So as said with no window can be turned on with light, and with opening window it is not required anyway but with non opening window there must be a way to turn it on independent to the light switch, all other automatic controls also need an override to manually turn it on, but that is easy, however with lights it means using a double pole light switch so pressing the override does not also switch on the lights.

Personally I think it is daft, with a 15 minute over run when I want the wet room to dry I simply flick the lights on and off, likely less energy used by bulb than I used to flick switch. I was to begin with not going to fit a fan, the windows open, however the LABC insisted as the wet room was on the ground floor so leaving a window open means some one can look into the room and is a security issue if left open.

I wonder how long before they have to be heat recovery units and standard fans are banned? I think "In rooms with no natural light, the fans could be controlled by the operation of the main room light switch" is a odd way to put it, as it means in rooms with natural light it can not be controlled by operation of the main room light switch, and that is incorrect it can be controlled by light switch but must also have another method to manually switch it on.

Last edited:
<stuff from a document which imposes no requirements>

But WRT what that document does give as advice:

So as said with no window can be turned on with light, and with opening window it is not required anyway but with non opening window there must be a way to turn it on independent to the light switch,
No, it doesn't say that there must be.

all other automatic controls also need an override to manually turn it on,
No, it does not say that there needs to be.

however the LABC insisted as the wet room was on the ground floor so leaving a window open means some one can look into the room and is a security issue if left open.
Nothing to do with them.

I think "In rooms with no natural light, the fans could be controlled by the operation of the main room light switch" is a odd way to put it, as it means in rooms with natural light it can not be controlled by operation of the main room light switch,
No, it doesn't mean that.

and that is incorrect it can be controlled by light switch but must also have another method to manually switch it on.
No, it doesn't have to.

... there must be a way to turn it on independent to the light switch, all other automatic controls also need an override to manually turn it on, but that is easy, however with lights it means using a double pole light switch so pressing the override does not also switch on the lights.
Whilst that is literally true, if one had a momentary action 'over-ride' switch/button in parallel with the (single pole) light switch, the light would only come on momentarily when one 'pressed the over-ride'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back