Installation on Consumer unit in new build detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just coming to to the final stages of building my new workshop. It is detached from my house. I am looking for someone to sign of my electrics for me and give me the required paperwork needed to keep the buildings inspector happy.

What kind of price would I be looking to pay for someone to come in and connect my new consumer unit (which I already have) and connect the cable up to my main CU in the house.

I would then like them to connect up one light and one socket in the garage.

am I correct in thinking that I can add sockets, and lights legally myself then?

Thanks

Jim

Sponsored Links
Have you notified Building Inspector already - you have to notify in advance of doing the works - they dont like retrospective applications.
If you notify B Regs should come and test.

You'll be lucky to get any professional sparks to sign off any one elses work as they will not have seen the installation. I only sign off what I've done.

I wouldnt price without seeing it or knowing distances; types of materials; types of CU etc - some are right bas****s to work with.

Nothing to stop you installing lights etc yourself but any work you do must comply with BS 7671 and be tested to comply with that.

Thanks for the info, the building is a new build so building regs are aware whats going on. I've not actually done anywork yet, as I thought I may have problems finding someone to sign off my own work.

The Consumer unit in the garage will be connected to my main unit in the house, the cable length will be approx 8m.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back