Installation, service or repair engineer??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installation, servicing or repair engineer. what are the salary level for each type of work?

i work for myself and have started sub-contracting, house bashing for a big firm working on council contracts, it`s real hard graft, full heating system in a day sort of thing. Pays well around 30k, maybe a few years down the line i may move into repair work? i have a interest in that sort of work and have a reasonable level skill at present. whats sort of salary would you be looking at working as a breakdown engineer?

Sponsored Links
Seems to me every one is boiler bashing these days, we have had awful trouble recruiting people who know their arse from their elbow in fault finding.

we are offering about 26k plus bonus down our way we get alot of applications but very very very few that fit the critrea hence why we invest alot in retrainers

coriman what would you say is your critrea?
and do you know of any firms that are taking on? as i`m lazy and would prefer to use my head and not my back to earn a living! haha no only joking, i just enjoy fixing boilers i like the technical side of things.

£13 an hour and expect call outs 100's of miles away in middle of night in middle of winter. Keep van stocked up with diesel, I ran out one evening with .nowhere open on the North York moors, not funny. You have to be very good, much more intelligent than an installer, 50% of your work is because of him. And forget about saving your back, because the idiot installers put them in awkward places 9 X / 10.

Sponsored Links
"Paul Barker"]
You have to be very good, much more intelligent than an installer, 50% of your work is because of him.

I install combi`s, gas fires, cookers, water heaters, flue liners, back boilers & all manner of wall mounted gas heaters in domestic premises.I also install unvented systems in places like large restaurants & so forth. I have recently moved into commercial plumbing. The hardest part of your day is to diagnose a dodgy fan, diverter valve or p.c.b. So please climb down of your horse & give us installers a break. :rolleyes:

And forget about saving your back, because the idiot installers put them in awkward places 9 X / 10.

Why would you need to save your back :?: the heaviest thing you plastic plumbers lift is your coffee, & the only time you get dirty is when you fall over, Give it a rest Loser :rolleyes:

By the way, my recent venture required me to install not only the heating system requirements for this rather large complex in Manchester but to also plan out & install all toilet, vending machine & all cooler facilities ( i also dabbled in air conditioning with my nephew, an Engineer) ;)

Everything so far seems to be sailing along nicely, any probs I`ll come here to seek your advice. :rolleyes:

P.S. ( I wouldn`t get outta bed for 13 quid an hour). Mr Intelligent.

I will be sticking to install you get to play with lots of power tools and get scrap and when they have boilers connected to modems self diagnosing and phoning the gas board up when the telemetry says something is going to go wrong they won't be much work about.

Mmm bamber

Installers Have a book telling them EXACTLY what to do (unlike breakdown engineers who have a lack lustre list at the back of the manual and only have that is the customer didnt through it away) and they STILL get it wrong

Installers and Transco Lads are cut from the same mold (mostly)

But then I hate installing boilers as I did it for years and years so who am I to judge.

as for critrea knowing roughly where your rectum is in relation to your elbow helps.

Having intiative
A good memory is a defo plus.
and attaching yourself to a chap who knows his onions for a while is a must.

and I suppose installers have the capability of earning more than me during more "gentlemanly" hours but I just find it dull dull dull

:)

"corgiman"

Installers Have a book telling them EXACTLY what to do

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Try telling that to a bloke opening a three storey restaurant & all I walk into is a derelict warehouse. Where`s that in the books Matey. If anyone needs to look in books for what to do it`s breakdown monkey`s & if they can`t get their tiny heads around that they can always phone the Manufacturers. There is not one boiler I haven`t been able to fix yet, not because I am clever, because I had a mobile & the boiler manufacturers helpline number.
I`m sick of hearing how great you breakdown monkeys think you are & then listening to you phone the makers. Give it a rest.

corgiman said:
Whatever you win

I soo cannot be arrissed

Another one bites the dust.....another one bites the dust...yeah.. (think of the Queen song). I seem to be running out of Adversaries able to match my superior intelligence yet humble Modesty. :cry:

corgiman said:
its seems that way o mighty one

Don`t be like that Corgidude, I just think that we installers get a raw deal, especially domestic installers. There are some very thick breakdown engineers out there mate. Let`s not slag each other off for a change. You do breakdowns. good. I install good. At least we`re not plumbers. :D

LMAO

true, well I am but I aint done it for ages ;)

My point is that I believe we should be able to install and repair, but most just go down the Insall route without a thought for repair and are buggggered when asked to sort out a problem

at the end of the day there are only so many boilers u can install but the breakdowns go on forever

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back