installation with no equip bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
not DIY i know fella's but im sure some on here will offer a usefull opinion.

been doing some work in an installation. the building is steel beams/guirders and sheeting with gas pipes and water pipes connected throughout and bracketed onto the guirders/ steelwork.

in the main switchroom the main switch and busbar chamber for the installation is mounted onto a frame. there is a big copper bar from this frame which is then bolted around the gas pipe which runs through the room. it all looks neat and intentionally done so im presuming this is the bonding to the gas, although it isnt labelled as should be.

there isnt really scope to bond at the point services come into the building(which we all know is preferable) as it would be a long and difficult run.

there is no such bonding to the water or structural steelwork.

in my opinion the equipotential bonding within the installation is more than adequate as all steelwork/gas/water pipes are bonded via the masses of pipework/brackets.

before commencing my work however i thought i would see what others thought as i will have to sign that equipotential bonding is present and adequate on the EIC.

of course it is adequate but not 'traditionally' done as there are no conductors run to seperate services.

i could put them in but customer is on a tight budget and it would be a real ball-ache.

has anyone encountered similar situations or have an opinion on the subject.

regards.

Sponsored Links
I don't have my regs with me, but IIRC there is a regulation about using structural steel work as the main bonding if certain criteria are met.

Hopefully someone will be able to give you some more details

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back