Installing 4 radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new to the site, but my friend said they have had some great advice from people on it.
Would £530 (including VAT) be reasonable for installing 4 radiators. 1 is an almost like for like size, and going in same location. Two are being changed from 120cm approx to 38cm vertical radiators almost in the middle of the same locations as original ones, final one is being changed from 110cm approx to 81cm, again in the middle of the same original location. I have bought all the radiators and values (3 thermostatic, one on/off only function). I’m still waiting to hear from another plumber for a quote, but I feel bad wasting another plumbers time if this is a reasonable quote already.
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its not really possible to say without knowing what has to be done and where. For instance:

1. Is the job in central London of somewhere with cheaper (half?) London rates?
2. Is the flooring to be lifted and new tails run vertically, or are the existing tails going to be modified to fit the new sizes?
3. Are the flow and return on the right sides for the vertical radiators?
4. Will the system need a full drain down?
5. Are the walls solid enough to take fixings for new brackets, or will battens . noggins have to be fitted?
6. Who is going to pay if there are bits missing / faults in the radiators you have bought.

Personally I wouldn't quote a fixed price for a job like that without seeing it and adding a hefty lump of contingency.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for the replies.

1. It’s Hertfordshire not in central London
2. Is the flooring to be lifted and new tails run vertically, or are the existing tails going to be modified to fit the new sizes? - yes to lifting floor
3. Are the flow and return on the right sides for the vertical radiators? - yes, I informed him of the radiators I had bought and he had seen the site prior as he had been out to service the boiler
4. Will the system need a full drain down? - it was power flushed 4 months ago so I am not 100% sure if it would need to be drained or not
5. Are the walls solid enough to take fixings for new brackets, or will battens . noggins have to be fitted? - yes all external brick walls
6. Who is going to pay if there are bits missing / faults in the radiators you have bought. - ‘bits’ were included in the quote - radiators can from screwfix and Victorian Plumbing - I assume of faulty I can return them......

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/installing-4-radiators.507467/#ixzz5OiKbpzCw

£530 labour only give or take a couple lengths of copper to adjust existing pipework is extortionate.

All radiators are to be fitted within the current pipe works dimensions and access under floorboards is available to adjust pipes accordingly.

I reckon I could diy that in a day. Never mind a pro.

He'd probably have the nerve charge you an extra tenner at the end for inhibitor if he even planned on adding any.

Get more quotes.

Last edited:
1. Watford - I'd assume around £60 / hour, perhaps £350 for a full day.
2. Floor lifting might be as easy as pulling up a couple of boards and re-screwing them later. But could be lifting carpet, cutting out MDF, replacing, re-laying carpet. Four radiators could be between 1/2 hour and 2 hours each.
3. I appreciate the OP states the person quoting has seen the site and knows the radiators, but does he / she know which is the existing flow and which the return if correct piping needed for radiators.
4. I'd assume a full drain down. Could be anything from 15 minutes to an hour depending on type of system. Refill could be 30 minutes, could be much longer if not a sealed system and issues with feed pipework.
5. Fitting a radiator. Measuring, marking, drilling, fixing brackets - I'd allow 20 minutes for ordinary radiators, 30 to 40 for verticals.
6. Changing pipework. (All copper, soldered)
6a. Vertical - cut / extend existing, new floor holes, new copper tails, fit radiator tails, fit valves and connect - I'd allow 30 minutes / radiator.
6b. Narrower radiator - as verticals and again allow 30 minutes.
6c. Almost same size - at best as verticals. Could be longer if floor holes too close to existing.
7. The point about missing bits is not who pays / gets them, but what does the plumber do if he / she can't finish the job in one hit?

If estimating time and materials I'd say 3 hours for flooring, 2 hours for fitting radiators, 2 hours for pipework, 1 hour for drain and refill. Total 8 hours. At £60/hour that's £480, or £576 with VAT added. Probably a bit less for a full days work, say £350 plus VAT taking it to £420. But that is an ESTIMATE, not a quotation. Any snags would be for the client's account.

If pushed into quoting fixed price, I'd say 12 hours. That would be £720 plus VAT or £864. Taking its a a day and half's work, it would be £525, £630 with VAT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back