Installing 55" Flat Screen on Stud Wall - Couple of Que

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just purchased the mother of all tellys and I plan to fit it on the wall.
The wall we want it on is a Stud Wall between the lounge area and Staircase.

I have a bracket suitable for it (up to 60")

I plan to use Heavy Duty Anchor Bolts to fit the Bracket to the wall.

There will be a sideboard under the telly with Sky Box and Home Cinema System.

Power will come from 4 gang extension lead fitted to wall behind sideboard.

My main questions are: Will the Heavy Duty Anchor Plugs be strong enough?

I would like to drill a hole behind telly (approx 1 1/2 " diameter) with the same drilled behind sideboard to allow power cable, HDMI and DVD Leads to go up the centre of the stud wall to keep them hidden.

Does this sound OK, Am I transgressing any regs?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i think i would locate the studs and fix into those with plenty of fixings.the bracket you have may only span 1 stud tho.you could possibly use "pig tails",they get a good hold.

As the previous poster said make sure you put the mount up and screw it into the stud. Drill a couple of small pilor holes either side to ensure you are drilling into the middle of the stud and not just grazing the surface.
If you cant screw directly into both studs then either drill alternative holes into the mount (if wide enough) or get a good solid block of wood and mount that onto a couple of studs and then screw the mount into that.

Thanks, I didn't think about trying to fit it into the Studs, Good Idea. I just need to find the studs now, how far apart would they be approx. I don't have a stud detector, just a sharp needle point to press through the Plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
I just need to find the studs now, how far apart would they be approx.
Normally 400mm vertical spacing; there will also be intermediate (horizontal) noggins between the studs around 1200mm from the floor or roughly half way up the wall so make sure you find those before you start feeding cables down through holes or they may not go too far :confused:. You can locate them by tappping the wall rapidly with a screwdriver (the noise changes) but a few investigative holes with a 3mm drill is the best way to find them, easy to fill in afterwards.

With a screen that size, I wouldn’t just rely on pigtails;
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/97406...ll-Plasterboard-Fixing-Nylon-32mm-Pack-of-100
or any other form of direct fixing into the PB for that matter.

I just need to find the studs now, how far apart would they be approx.
Normally 400mm vertical spacing; there will also be intermediate (horizontal) noggins between the studs around 1200mm from the floor or roughly half way up the wall so make sure you find those before you start feeding cables down through holes or they may not go too far :confused:. You can locate them by tappping the wall rapidly with a screwdriver (the noise changes) but a few investigative holes with a 3mm drill is the best way to find them, easy to fill in afterwards.

With a screen that size, I wouldn’t just rely on pigtails;
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/97406...ll-Plasterboard-Fixing-Nylon-32mm-Pack-of-100
or any other form of direct fixing into the PB for that matter.

Thanks.

These are what I was planning to use:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12229...Hollow-Wall-Anchor-5-x-52mm-8-16mm-Pack-of-10

But I am hoping to get it fitted across studs, thanks for the heads up about Noggins

These are what I was planning to use:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12229...all-Anchor-5-x-52mm-8-16mm-Pack-of-10[/QUOTE]
As I said, I would not rely solely on any PB fixing & if you fix into the studs, they won’t do much or be necessary anyway.

But I am hoping to get it fitted across studs, thanks for the heads up about Noggins
That’s the only safe way to go. You should be OK as long as you can pick up on at least 2 studs &/or the noggins; if not, fix a lump of plywood just marginally deeper than the bracket but across 3 studs or along the noggin line behind the TV & screw into that.

Thanks for your advice, BUT..............

I have tried locating studs in wall, and have only found one in the area where the telly should go.

When I removed a wall between bathroom and airing cupboard previously, it seemed to consist of two pieces of plasterboard conected by a cardboard mesh. The only studs were around the edge and top and bottom. Could this wall be of similar construction? It is about 7ft in length.

I tried knocking but, could not hear a difference. I borrowed a Black & Decker Stud locator, but, although it went off a few times, when I test drilled with a 2mm drill, I found fresh air after about 10 - 12mm.

The one I did find is about 1" wide, could this be where two sheets are joined?

What it sounds like you have there my friend is "Paramount Partition" rather than a conventional stud/plasterboard wall. I don’t have any experience of this type of stud but although that egg box construction makes the panels very rigid, they have far less internal studwork & so won’t make fixing a heavy flat screen TV to it any easier. Your best option may be to fix a lump of ply over it & screw the TV plate into that.

Thanks for the Good News Richard.................

I googled Paramount Partition and it seems just what I have, the saving grace may be that behind the wall is a staircase, and I am hoping that the Wooden edge which butts up to the partition will pass through the area where I want to fit the telly

I have four options as far as I can see:

1. Using 4" (at least) screws fix the bracket through the partition wall to the Stair Case, in as many places as possible, use heavy duty anchors to hold bracket in other places

2. Get a piece of ply approx 3ft X 2 ft, screw and bond it to the partition, attach bracket to this. (what thickness would you recommend, 12mm?)

3. A combination of the above.

4. Fix to Plasterboard and offer up a prayer, maybe slaughter something as an offering and lightly tack some sort of talisman beneath the Telly

Telly weighs 22kg and bracket about 8kg according to specs

Plan B or Option 5

I have been studying the wall this evening trying to work out how best to do this.

I have had an idea of putting a piece of wood 3" x 3/4" (ish) on the other side of the Paramount Partition and using a nut and bolt to attach the bracket through the wall and the piece of wood. This will act to spread the load along a 6 ft length of the wall and will be used as a cross between a dado rail and picture rail on the stairway.

The bottom of the bracket will be attached to the side of the stairway through the wall.

This I think should do the job, what do you think???

If it were me I would fix a sheet of MDF both sides of the wall, no bigger than the bracket itself so it’s hidden behind the TV. Then bolt the bracket through both sheets to under the stairs, tighten up and it won’t be going anywhere! I’m assuming the other side is under the stairs so won’t be seen?

Failing that put the TV on a normal stand and just accept the fact it can’t be done safely (you don’t want your nice new TV falling off the wall) or buy a new house with solid walls :)

Everyone's missed the obvious solutions ...
a) Get a smaller telly and sit closer to it. You'll see the image the same size as you were planning to.
b) Buy 5m long M8 stud and a similarly sized drill bit and drill horizontally until you break through to daylight. Fixing to an external wall should do the trick.
c) Purchase recliners and ceiling mount the bugger. Joists are easier to find than stud and far stronger. Wear a helmet whilst watching the box just in case though.
d) Buy bean bags and put the mother of all TVs on the floor. You may need to strengthen the floor to cope with the point loading though.
e) Currys claim they'll install so test them out. If they cock it up and "upstairs" becomes the new ground floor then you'll know who's insurance to claim against.

Everyone's missed the obvious solutions ...
a) Get a smaller telly and sit closer to it. You'll see the image the same size as you were planning to.
b) Buy 5m long M8 stud and a similarly sized drill bit and drill horizontally until you break through to daylight. Fixing to an external wall should do the trick.
c) Purchase recliners and ceiling mount the b*****r. Joists are easier to find than stud and far stronger. Wear a helmet whilst watching the box just in case though.
d) Buy bean bags and put the mother of all TVs on the floor. You may need to strengthen the floor to cope with the point loading though.
e) Currys claim they'll install so test them out. If they cock it up and "upstairs" becomes the new ground floor then you'll know who's insurance to claim against.

That's put some perspective into it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back