Installing 55" Flat Screen on Stud Wall - Couple of Que

Everyone's missed the obvious solutions ...
a) Get a smaller telly and sit closer to it. You'll see the image the same size as you were planning to.
b) Buy 5m long M8 stud and a similarly sized drill bit and drill horizontally until you break through to daylight. Fixing to an external wall should do the trick.
c) Purchase recliners and ceiling mount the b*****r. Joists are easier to find than stud and far stronger. Wear a helmet whilst watching the box just in case though.
d) Buy bean bags and put the mother of all TVs on the floor. You may need to strengthen the floor to cope with the point loading though.
e) Currys claim they'll install so test them out. If they cock it up and "upstairs" becomes the new ground floor then you'll know who's insurance to claim against.

Thanks for the cracking suggestions, nice to see someone put a lot of thought into their answer. ;) :D

I did suggest a solution similar to "B", however SWMBO though the neighbours had enough Coat Hooks in their hall.

I am going to go for a combination of dado rail behind the partition and 12mm plywood behind the telly.

If that doesn't work I will let you know, unless of course I was coming down the stairs at the time of their collapse and I am laid out in the hall under our new mezzanine bathroom suite. :oops:

Richard, I should add that I did not mean you had not put any thought into your previous answers.

Sponsored Links
Just a quick update.

After the Telly arrived I set it up on a Sideboard in front of the "Stud" wall to check what it would be like. I bought some big bolts and wooden batten to fit it, only to discover that SWMBO wasn't happy with the room moved around like that and would prefer the telly on the Outside "Brick" Wall.

So the telly was duly hoisted up and attached to the wall bracket which was fiteed with 4 inch bolts in big FO Plugs. That mother is not going anywhere.

Thanks for all your help

I hope you remembered to put some light oil on the nuts to stop the rusting and used some big washers to prevent them pulling through the brick work.

We have all learnt a valuable lesson: SWMBO is a far greater force than any DIY advice given here.

Happy xmas viewing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back