Installing a 3KW built in oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old oven need replacing, and I have been looking at a 3KW oven to replace it.

My current oven is 2200w,and plugged into a socket which is placed in the kitchen cabinet next to the oven cabinet, all done by the people who renovated this house 6 years ago, before we moved in.

I am not an electrician, but figured I could connect an oven to a plug!
However, I don't know if a 3KW oven would run on a circuit sufficient for a 2.2KW oven? Any advice?

I am basically trying to avoid having to pay someone almost £100 for fitting a plug - alternatively, maybe I should not get a 3KW oven, but am not sure how to search ovens using the KW as a criteria...

I don't know how to find out about the existing circuit in my kitchen, but thought about just hooking the oven up, and see if everything started popping once I plug it in? Any thoughts on this?

Any advice much appreciated.

Susanne

Sponsored Links
Just have a look at single ovens, find 1 or 2 that you like & look at the power rating.

Ive just looked on comets web site. If you look in specification it tells you hard wired or 13 amp plug

a 3kW OVEN will work on a 13A plug. 3kW is the max load for such a plug. Most single ovens sold in the UK use between 10A and 12A. This is about 2200W to 2500W

Double ovens generally use more, and need their own circuit. Electric cookers and hobs use much more and need their own circuit.

Presumably you have a gas hob.

Thanks for your replies.

I've now got the new oven, and am wondering if anyone can confirm whether I can use the old cable/flex from the existing oven with the new oven:

The cable is labelled "H05RR-F" and "3G1,00mm2"...
Is this the right type of wire for a 3KW oven?

Many thanks in advance, for your time :0)

Sponsored Links
er.. no.. that's 1mm cable you have there.. you should ideally have 2.5.. but can get away with 1.5..

1mm is good for 11 amps.. and 3KW is about 12 amps..

Dont use the old cable, its a bit thin at only 1.0mm. Use the cable that (should have) come with your new oven and wire/plug it straight in.

Hi there,
someone else mentioned the other day, that I should expect the oven to come with cables: It's an AEG B21004M, but there are no cables.

Where do I get the 2.5 cable? Homebase? B&Q? Local hardware store?

Many thanks again for absolutely superfast replies, I'll recommend this forum everywhere!

any decent DIY shed ( and a few not so decent ones ) should carry 1.5 or 2.5 "immersion" cable.. it's heat resisting just in case it gets warm back there...

the price differende for 2 meters is negligable and I like to be on the safe side.. ( you know they're bound to upgrade to a double oven at some point... and try to use the same cable.. )

that "immersion" cable tends to be more readily available in 2.5 as well..

Diyisfun is correct regarding 'Comets web site'.
It states AEG B21004M needs hard wiring.
:rolleyes:

Well, personally speaking, I struggle sometimes with a well-insulated 1.5mm² flex into a plug top. I've only ever terminated 2.5mm² (and 4mm²) into 16A 110V plugs & couplers.

If it's of any use to anyone, i have just purchased an AEG B3101-4 oven because B&Q list it as being 13 amp in their brochure. I double checked this on their computer at time of ordering aswell. But sure enough when it was delivered....no cable & no 13 amp plug !
Connecting a cooker switch was not an easy option as the rest of the kitchen was finished a few months back. Anyway i read comments on this site and decided to check with a friend who is an electrician, and he told me that as long as the rating of the oven was 3kw or less it would be ok to connect to 13 amp socket. The oven i have is 3kw @ 230-240volts.
On his advice i purchased some 1.5mm butyl cable from B&Q which is heat resistant and sold specifically for that purpose, it is rated to 16 amps, so there is no need for 2.5mm cable and as a previous comment, you try getting that into a plugtop! I connected everything up, plugged it in & it all works perfectly.... only one issue..... the warranty!! doubt if it will be covered as it is not installed to their spec. But it's german so it will probably last for years and my wife was not about to let me send it back !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back