Installing a balustrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can you help? At the top of my stairs i have a plasterboard wall which separates the staircase and the landing. I am wanting to pull down the plasterboard wall and open up the landing and the replace it with a balustrade however i don't know how to fit the newel bases.
Please have a look at the added pictures, might give you an idea what i'm babbling on about. Thanks.

[/url]

Sponsored Links
I did this exact thing. the only difference between mine and yours is that i didn't have a brick wall to the side of my stairs.

Because my stairs were narrow like yours and I didn't feel skilled enough to notch the newell to slot over the string (and also because i didn't need a handrail for the stairs to fit into it) i did the following.

Cut a section of floor (highlighted green) out to expose the joist running parallel to my stairs (indicated by red)

I purchased a long newell base as I wanted the simple square design rather than any turned wood and cut it to height, i then cut a notch out so it could be fitted hard against the top of the string and the joist.

I coach bolted the section under the floor to the joist (not shown), and stuck a couple of L shaped brackets as well for good measure.

I then used two woodscrews (countersunk and filled) through the string into the newell (indicated by blue).

the post is nice and solid and looks the part.

i also bought a half thickness post for the other end which I just screwed into the studwork i put in to create the partially built cupboard you see in my pic.

[/img]

Muzz,

Thanks very much for that, great advice and just what i'm after. Looking at tackling mine after the new year, happy days.

A very nice job by the way. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back