Installing a gas cooker

Sponsored Links
Gasman77 thank you for your comments. It makes a lot of sense. All I need to know is if a chap says he can do it and he is not a RGI is it legal?
RSVP

No

Ben, Im surprised at you! I an earlier post he mentoned payment No registration plus any form of payment is DE|FINITELY illegal There seems to be some gry areas surrounding other instances

Sponsored Links
OK
I will get an rgi to do it. It was just that a mate said I'll do that for you and I wasn't sure of the legal implications. At least I can now say to my friend that I would rather an RGI do it than him break the law. Thank you to all.

Another mug looking to be ripped off to save a few quid :rolleyes: IF YOUR PAYING A MATE TO DO IT WHO IS NOT REGISTERED, WHY NOT PAY SOMEONE WHO HAS A CLUE WHAT THEY ARE DOING, OR ARE YOU REALLY THAT STUPID? we are talking about a job that will cost less than £100 all in ffs!
Nope I'm not that stupid its just that when a mate says he can do it there is a way to say thanks but no thanks and legal presidence gave me that so he will not be too upset when I refuse his offer. There is no way I would put my family/home at risk and I am willing to bet this is a very common occurence. People just do not know the law surrounding gas and electricity. It ain't exactly well advertised to the man in the street. I am sure all those who work in the industry will know it but whats the good in that if the man in the street doesn't and at the end of the day it's the customer who pays the bill so should be treated with a little more respect. Like I said its not about getting a job done on the cheap.

People just do not know the law surrounding gas and electricity. It ain't exactly well advertised to the man in the street.

at the end of the day it's the customer who pays the bill so should be treated with a little more respect.

The only thing about this trade that is well advertised is the bit about illegal gas work.

By all means ask to be treated with respect for the sake of common courtesy, but I'll remind you, on here you're not a customer and not paying anyone's bill.

Its not so much about complying with the law but avoiding the risk of a firs, gas accident, either explosion or the more frequent killer carbon monoxide!

In this case the cost saving is so small as to be almost irrelevant.

Although you may say that I am biased, I do have a negative feeling about people like your friend who seeks to do work that he is not qualified or insured for.

Tony

You are allowed to do gas work in your own home if you are competent

Competence for this purpose isn't defined in law, but knowledge and skill equivalent to the relevant parts of the ACS examinations would be appropriate. This includes how to check for gas tightness and pressures and knowledge of the relevant Regulations and British Standards for installing gas appliances. Therefore it's not really a job for the average DIYer.

If you are doing gas work in a rented property (even if you own it ie are the landlord) or for gain or reward you must have current ACS certification and be registered with Gas Safe.

People just do not know the law surrounding gas and electricity. It ain't exactly well advertised to the man in the street.

at the end of the day it's the customer who pays the bill so should be treated with a little more respect.

The only thing about this trade that is well advertised is the bit about illegal gas work.

By all means ask to be treated with respect for the sake of common courtesy, but I'll remind you, on here you're not a customer and not paying anyone's bill.

Point taken. I suppose I am getting free info from you guys and it is very much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back