Installing a new bathroom suite advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just been checking the forum to see if these questions have been asked before and i can't see any so here i go.

1. I have a above countor wash basin to install, ( with overflow built into the sink) ( so although it's perfectly round there is a ridge running down the back) it came with no instructions, no fixings or anything. How do i securely fix it to my standalone basin cupboard?? do i core a hole just big enough for the waste/overflow noggin and glue it in?? seems a bit of a loose way to do it??

2. Had the old back boiler replaced for a combi which is now in the loft, so i could knock down the airing cupboard and increase the bathroom size, the installation people tapped off all the old pipes and connected the boiler into a cold and hot location in the hallway that's 15mm. When i was buying my parts to connect the bath shower and sink to the water supply in the bathroom they said i should be comming of a 22mm hot water pipe for teh bath so i have a good flow rate. ( which what was there previously) but because i have moved the location of the bath and because the bolier feeds the hot water infrastructure in my house from 15mm pipes is there any real point to put some 22mm piping in there? or can i just go off a 15mm hot source ok?

Thanks for all replies
Mark

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the basin, these can all be different, maybe a pic would help if possible?

Hot water, 15mm is fine. 22mm used when fed from a cylinder, gives a faster flow to fill the bath quicker. Just step up to 22mm at the taps.

If the cupboard is designed for the sink it should have a hole for the sink to sit into, if not the ridge on the back should have two holes, measure them off and drill, insert hexagon bolt screws (sorry don`t know the right name) and they will hold the sink.
As you now have a combi useing 15 mm pipe for your hot water is better as it will reduce the flow rate and give you nice hot water, 22mm all the way would mean a higher flow rate thus the water would not be as hot.
So like hugh said, 15mm the nstep up to 22mm to fit to tap.

Sponsored Links
Thanks For the replies.
I'll get a picture of the basin to you can all have a look but for now here's a quick (very amateur drawing)
The unit doesn't have any holes in it.. yet ;) and i can't see and think on the underside of the sink to attach it down to.. :(

Regards to the pipe work, Agreed I'll do as you say ( which was what i was thinking anyway ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back