Installing a new smoke detector wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I am knocking down a load bearing wall in between my living room and dining room. I put in for a building warrant in my local council (Scotland). They have now said i need a wired smoke alarm in the living room.

Can this be wired into the existing lighting circuit? Or would it be best to use the mains circuit from the bedroom above? Or does it need to be a separate circuit all together???

Rob

Sponsored Links
Do you have existing smoke detectors? If so link to the nearest one. If not convention is to wire to lighting circuit as this gives an indication if the power fails.

I have a smoke alarm in the hall about 50cm away. But there is a brick wall in the way :(

Sounds like it needs to be off the lighting wiring.

Thanks for your reply.

If you have existing detectors they MUST all be linked. Can you get a cable through under the floor above?

Sponsored Links
If you have existing detectors they MUST all be linked. Can you get a cable through under the floor above?

Oh right didn't know that. I am sure my 2 existing smoke alarms aren't linked.

Does it say in the regs that they need to be all linked?

Oh right didn't know that. I am sure my 2 existing smoke alarms aren't linked.
Does it say in the regs that they need to be all linked?

Why have you been told to install additional smokes? they are not a requirement, unless there is a reason for this.

As part of the building warrant approval my local council have said I need a smoke alarm in either the living room or dining room. The building warrant is to knock the wall down between these two rooms and install bi folding doors.

The council have stated I need this smoke alarm and it has to be hard wired. They won't budge on it

I think your council are wrong, as I understand Scottish building regs with regards to smokes, they are the same as the English ones, a smoke on each storey is only required and no mention of hard wired!

if you have to pass through another room to get to an exit you need a smoke alarm in that room.

are the smoke alarms you have now hard wired or battery? if battery you need to replace them with interlinked hard wired ones.

these are recommended http://www.aico.co.uk/

I have made a very crude drawing of my ground floor. I have a semi detectached house with one hard wired smoke detector in the bottom hall (as shown in the picture) and one in the upper landing.

If they say you need it you. Won't get your building warent signed off without it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back