Installing a summerhouse TECHNICAL ISSUES and SOLUTIONS

another option for the water supply, you could take it from the house but so as to not affect the house water pressure, you could install an accumulator for the main house pressure, this will keep the pressure constant in the house regardless of whats happening down at the summer house/boat house/ dwelling/ holiday cabin (gone through all options to cover the pedantics of the forum)
Brilliant thanks v much i will do some research here, most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
id put gas cylinders down there for heating and hot water, electricity is still dearer than gas, also you will likely need thicker cable than 25mm for that run as the heating coil for the hot water will be 3kw, then you have the potential to put a kettle on, then you have other electrical devices to think about, and you'll be pushing the 5kw limit you have.

or you could put a wood burning stove in, that would provide both heating and hot water.
There are some nice diesel stand alone stoves that supply radiators, all depends on size of building though.

with the sewage treatment, the op doesn't have to dig 185 meters, it can be relatively close to the summer house
He is going to have to dig 185m for the water and electricity supplies. Im guessing he wont be doing that himself with a pick and shovel, so once hes got either a hired digger or a groundworks contractor, the incremental effort (and cost) of running an effluent pipe to the existing ST might not be too onerous.

It should certainly be considered vs a treatment plant.

Or use the simple method and pump up to the the main sewers https://www.mono-pumps.com/grifter_pump_system

Should work OK over a 200 metre run of pipe. The one we installed about 1990 in our previous house is still running trouble free for the new owner.
Bet thats had a new liner or other parts by now or even been completely replaced by now. Good as they are parts wear out.

Sponsored Links
Ok.
You are one click away from ignore honestly you've contributed nothing on this thread.
Ive suggested that a heat pump might be a good way to heat the building.

Ive suggested that all the options for sewage disposal be evaluated and compared.

Ive pointed out for the benefit of everybody putting forward, and evaluating, solutions to "technical" issues that the solutions can only work if they work in the context of needing planning permission and building regulations approval.

And I have done so without insulting or abusing anyone.

Who gives a sh't ;) call it what you want.
And you have the gall to accuse others of trolling.

Bet thats had a new liner or other parts by now or even been completely replaced by now

The new owners who I see quite often ( it is less than a 1/2 mile from where I live now ) have never mentioned any problems with it. I have to say I am a bit surprised at it's reliability

Ive suggested that a heat pump might be a good way to heat the building.

Ive suggested that all the options for sewage disposal be evaluated and compared.

Ive pointed out for the benefit of everybody putting forward, and evaluating, solutions to "technical" issues that the solutions can only work if they work in the context of needing planning permission and building regulations approval.

And I have done so without insulting or abusing anyone.

And you have the gall to accuse others of trolling.

Some great advice there 'evaluate all options'. Blinding.

Its not trolling look up the definition you may well see yourself there. Now as i said before, thankyou but please i don't need your input here all the same its not helping.

Even if i could squeeze their turds into microbore it would still be a PIA ;)

200+metre tiny pipe now stuffed up with clogged kitchen roll somewhere between the start and finish. No tanks.

Not how it works. You have a holding tank maybe 2 cu m, and a macerator pump with float switches. Anything the pump can't chew and swallow doesn't get out of the chamber. Tampons are a bugger, but they will just cause the cb to pop. Clean it out, slap the daughter, on you go. I've been on the system for 25 years. Mine's about 100m, 50mm blue pipe. It can go most of the way in the leccy trench, then into you ST.

Not how it works. You have a holding tank maybe 2 cu m, and a macerator pump with float switches. Anything the pump can't chew and swallow doesn't get out of the chamber. Tampons are a bugger, but they will just cause the cb to pop. Clean it out, slap the daughter, on you go. I've been on the system for 25 years. Mine's about 100m, 50mm blue pipe. It can go most of the way in the leccy trench, then into you ST.

Ok so i need a tank 2cu which is below the level of the drain point? An STP is about 3.5cu metres nothing with a digger. Then i don't have 185 metres of worry inclduing routing round the house across a driveway and round an outbuilding.

200+metre tiny pipe now stuffed up with clogged kitchen roll somewhere between the start and finish. No tanks.
Plan B - learn not to flush kitchen roll down the loo?

Would kitchen roll be OK in a STP anyway? I know that tissues are a big no-no, as they don't break down.

Genuine question, not a mickey take... What about a composting loo? And a grey-water recovery setup. Neither about which i know much!
Good question and thanks for your thoughts here.
Re composting loo they have come a long way i just dont want the concern of raw sewage not breaking down correctly and there's the urine issue. The grey water recovery setups look almost as expensive as a small sewage treatment plant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back