Installing a summerhouse TECHNICAL ISSUES and SOLUTIONS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im going to build a summerhouse in our garden, problem is our garden is quite long. (about 185 metres from our house)

First considerations services.

Waste
Electricity
Water

Sewage water and grey waste - Fairly easy i guess digging in a Sewage treatment works for 2/3person we have small rivers nearby places to drain into all year round. Does that sound right?

Electricity - Im not quite up on calcs guessing 2core 25mm seems to allow 5kw for 190m run.
Jeepers thats not going to be cheap is it. - Any thoughts here?

Water - Now this one has a few issues.

The site is about level with our house but will the water pressure push the water that far?

secondly we dont want anyone having a shower in the building dropping our water pressure in the house. How do we mitigate this? I was thinking a gravity fed tank near the outbuilding, but then if water is used, the filler would still activate as the level dropped causing our pressure to drop, some sort of timed filler device?
Also heating water for a shower, im guessing some sort of electric source as there is no easy way to get gas there unless i wheel a cylinder there.

Any thoughts here appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It sounds fairly big.

Note that over 30 sq metres internal you need building regs.

You need to keep it over 2 metres from boundary if you want it over 2.5metres high.

You might need 3 core cable depending on electrical calls.

25mm sounds likely for voltage drop over that distance, but electrician would have to advice.

Sponsored Links
Why has this been moved to building regs and planning?

Sorry anyone on this thread wondering why the fck, this was in projects where it should be its a project not a building or planning concern.

Admins sort it out.

id put gas cylinders down there for heating and hot water, electricity is still dearer than gas, also you will likely need thicker cable than 25mm for that run as the heating coil for the hot water will be 3kw, then you have the potential to put a kettle on, then you have other electrical devices to think about, and you'll be pushing the 5kw limit you have.

or you could put a wood burning stove in, that would provide both heating and hot water.

in terms of water supply, that would be a task in itself, you would want to connect to to the main supply into the house, not the supply from the house, connecting to the supply shouldnt have too much of an effect on your pressure. but i would imagine might need to be discussed with the water board.

we have small rivers nearby places to drain into all year round. Does that sound right?

NO, having small rivers nearby could complicate the disposal of sewage water and grey waste by the river authority requiring that all water that might flow into the small rivers is treated to ensure it is biologically inert before reaching the river.

To save me typing you can read this

https://cat.org.uk/info-resources/free-information-service/water-and-sanitation/sewage-treatment/

other information sources are available

NO, having small rivers nearby could complicate the disposal of sewage water and grey waste by the river authority requiring that all water that might flow into the small rivers is treated to ensure it is biologically inert before reaching the river.

To save me typing you can read this

https://cat.org.uk/info-resources/free-information-service/water-and-sanitation/sewage-treatment/

other information sources are available

Oh for sure it will be via Sewage treatment plant, im told they are pure enough to drink the output! Not that i want to try.

or you could put a wood burning stove in, that would provide both heating and hot water.
Not the healthiest or most environmentally sound thing.

ASHP for the heating?

Or GS, if theres got to be all that digging for water, waste, electricity, anyway?

Or use the simple method and pump up to the the main sewers https://www.mono-pumps.com/grifter_pump_system

Should work OK over a 200 metre run of pipe. The one we installed about 1990 in our previous house is still running trouble free for the new owner.
Thanks Bernarnd a nice idea, if only it was that easy our own septic tank is say over 250metres away at the front of the house, absolute PIA running a sewage pipe that far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back