Installing a wood burner...

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How easy is it? Does it need any additional flue - the fireplace is designed to draw up smoke already?

Chimney has not been used, but on inspection, looks clean up there.
This looks like it will fit.
https://www.woodburnerworld.co.uk/mitra-multifuel-woodburning-stove-6kw-13611-401520
A lot cheaper than getting the room insulated .... and I can move it after done extension.
A friend suggested that installing a wood burner would solve damp issues, so long as I keep it burning slow all night - it will keep the walls dry and draw out moisture, does that sound right?

Sponsored Links
Will a wood burner prevent damp? It depends upon what is causing it. If it's a leaky pipe or guttering, a non existent / faulty damproof course or porous walls etc., probably not. If it's due to condensation forming on cold walls then keeping the walls warm may help.

As for being cheaper than insulation, insulation once fitted is done, the cost of fuel for night burning will continue forever.

Yeah, the idea is it'll be a temporary solution. Damp is most likely condensation on cold walls. I will be extending the house and renovating this room, with underfloor insulation and internal wall insulation, sometime next year. If I get a woodburner, I can use it in new lounge. So, maybe not a crazy idea. We already have a room of boxes and the garage is full of furniture, so renovating the living room now is not really an option!

Sponsored Links
Damp from condensation can be remedied with suitable ventilation, fire can help as it requires lots of ventilation and moves more air than just open vents.
Its possible to get a steady supply of free fuel by burning clean wood pallets.

You don't need a stainless stell flue, but the stove works better with one. If you're not using a flue, then you need to do two tests, the first smoke test confirms the chimney, and that it's drawing, then you have to block the chimmney off at the top, run the smoke test again, and make sure the chimney isn't leaking anywhere, and if it's on a party wall with the neighbours, then you need to warn them, and check that there are no leaksi into their place.

The stove you're looking at, only has a 76% rating, and isn't marked as Defra approved; plus it's 6KW, so you'll need to install permanent ventilation in the room. In addition, it doen't appear to have any firebricks in the stove, so the heat will go out everywhere rather than being pushed to the front. I'd avoid it, and look for a 5Kw stove that's defra approved. But find the cause of the damp, and ventilate the room, and the stove will then work more effciently.

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_
How does burning wood in a wood burner cause a chimney fire in a flue?

Vapourised but un-burnt material from the wood condenses as tar in the chimney, then one day when there is a hotter than normal fire ( or the tar is very thick ) the tar in the chimney ignites. Soot also helps to fuel a fire in the chimney.

Aren't wood burning stove very efficient at ensuring a clean burn, or will everyone with a wood burner expected to have a fire in their flue eventually?

Aren't wood burning stove very efficient at ensuring a clean burn, or will everyone with a wood burner expected to have a fire in their flue eventually?

With the right fuel and regular chimney sweeping the risk of a chimney fire is reduced to almost zero.

JBRs comment is a poterntial scenario of burning pallets, or any pine wood, as pine deposits more tar than hard woods do, but as Bernard suggests, regular sweeping will help cut down on the dangers of a chimney fire.

But not all wood burning stoves are efficient, especially the cheap ones. A flue liner, having a smaller diamater than a chimney, will also get the gasses travelling up it at a faster rate, so they won't deposit themselves in the same way that slower rising gases will in a chimney.

So JBR comment is not accurate?
My comment was perfectly accurate. When we bought our wood burning stove it was made quite clear that we should only burn well seasoned hard wood and preferably kiln dried.
I assume that you have a wood burner yourself. Using soft wood, cardboard and paper for starting the burn is acceptable, though, but If you decide to burn unseasoned pallets routinely that is your choice. If you do have a wood burning stove, why don't you ask the installer for their opinion of the matter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back