Installing a wood burner...

JBRs comment is a poterntial scenario of burning pallets, or any pine wood, as pine deposits more tar than hard woods do, but as Bernard suggests, regular sweeping will help cut down on the dangers of a chimney fire.

But not all wood burning stoves are efficient, especially the cheap ones. A flue liner, having a smaller diamater than a chimney, will also get the gasses travelling up it at a faster rate, so they won't deposit themselves in the same way that slower rising gases will in a chimney.
None of the pallets I have seen are made from pine, usually a cheap hardwood, currently burning indian hardwood pallets.

Sponsored Links
God, you'e lucky Foxhole. Most of the pallets I come across are pine, but yes, I've noticed that the tile shops seem to get the indian hardwood pallets, and I use them for wood working projects. Any other suggestions as to who gets the hardwood pallets.

Current pallet held my Indian sandstone slabs, got enough for a months use. Roofing firms have a lot of hard wood pallets as the roof tiles are often imported, pallet recycling scheme where I live supplies all the pallets I want for free.

Sponsored Links
None of the pallets I have seen are made from pine, usually a cheap hardwood, currently burning indian hardwood pallets.
Even hardwood should, in preference, be well seasoned or kiln dried. Good luck!

I did, and they all seem to be collecting to refurbish and resell. I noticed you were in Kent as well, hence the query for a starting point.

Alltypes roofing, Plumstead .I think they have other premises in SE.
Worth giving them a ring to check they are still in the scheme .Not been there for a while, so many re-roofing work around me I can pick up a dozen pallets within 1/2mile of my house most weeks.

Last edited:
Uk regulation require pallets are made from kiln dried timber.
Really? I didn't know that.

Is the requirement for kiln drying wood used for pallets in order to prevent the development of mould and micro-organisms, or to make it suitable for burning in stoves to reduce or remove any output of smoke that would lay down creosote in chimneys?

What about the type of wood. Are pallets made from hardwood?

Genuine questions, as if pallets are really suitable for burning in wood burners I shall stop paying for expensive kiln dried hardwood logs. Pallets would be much cheaper.

I think the regs are aimed towards health and safety, lots of rules about how they are constructed presumably to prevent them falling apart and causing injury.
Timber use varies according to what’s cheapest and available , many parts of the world only have hard woods so pallets come in many varieties.
They used to be treated to prevent infestation but I believe that is now banned.
There are extensive regs and recommendations for pallets in the uk and around the world, makes reading War and Peace seem like a paperback.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back