Installing cables upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the cables for the upstairs rooms have been fed though the timber framed partition walls (studwork at this point, has not yet got closed up). Some of these cables go from A to B and follow various routes that are not directly above a socket or parallel to it. Eg cables running over door frames.

Once the walls are fully built, I will have no idea where cables could be running through. OK I can take photos and make notes now, but this is not a guarantee for the future and for other people that might use the house.

What is the correct way of routing sockets and lights in this case?

Sponsored Links
gameover.gif

Oh dear, this isn't looking promising! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You really should have read some guidance before you started slinging cables everywhere.
Your only possible salvation (apart from doing it all as per safe zones) is very poor practise but if your cables are more than 50mm behind the surface finish of the wall (both sides in the case of partition walls) they can comply. If you do use this getout you'd be well advised to put protection plates on the timbers where cables are running outside safe zones.
You cannot use this trick in masonry walls.
Better and neater to be conventional and rerun in safe zones,

Thank you very much. The wiring upstairs was done by a competent, registered electrician. I will ask the *new* electrician to offer suggestions. The idea of plates under the plasterboard maybe sounds good to stop the occasional drill. The framework is 4x2 and the 50mm is marginal at best.

Thank you very much. The wiring upstairs was done by a competent, registered electrician. I will ask the *new* electrician to offer suggestions. The idea of plates under the plasterboard maybe sounds good to stop the occasional drill. The framework is 4x2 and the 50mm is marginal at best.
If the 50mm is marginal, as @Taylortwocities the protection plates on their own do not confer compliance on randomly placed cables.
If your studwork is 4 x 2 (usually 97mm) and you are boarding both sides with 12.5mm and cable holes through noggins and studs are dead centre of the wall and not overlarge (max dia 12.5mm) you can reliably achieve 50mm.
If you've used 3 x 2 then forget it unless you want to double board both sides of the wall.
The plates would only be there to warn the future unwary.

You've said the studwork, at this point, has not been closed up.

Just re-route the cables.

Does 522.6.204(iv) [yellow book]not allow such?

If not, when would it apply?
Not got that particular publication- my understanding is galvanised conduit would be acceptable, those plates are deemed too thin to class as mechanical protection. Been wrong before...educate me :)

Not got that particular publication-
My mistake. It is the 18th blue book - the one before the recent update which might still be the same.

my understanding is galvanised conduit would be acceptable, those plates are deemed too thin to class as mechanical protection. Been wrong before...educate me :)
I did not see any reference to thickness; just that, out of safe zones, a steel plate (3mm thick is the usual requirement) is allowed by 522.6.204(iv) which I thought you and TTC were saying was not the case.

The wording is:

"(iv) be provided with mechanical protection against damage sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by
nails, screws and the like,"

so obviously a (thin) plate that does not do that is not good enough.

To provide similar protection to armoured cable (that is allowed outside zones) surely the plate would need to be earthed?

Also, if you look at a wall, it has two surfaces. Room 1 and room2. You have to consider the depth on both sides so installation of plates may need to be on both sides of the cable......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back