Installing downlight over shower. Any reason why not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. New to the forum.

I live in a recently built flat with an en suite bathroom that uses LED downlights (see picture)

As you can see, there's no downlight over the shower, which makes it a bit dark. I'm thinking of installing the missing downlight (to make the square) over the shower. I removed the existing downlights to take a peek into the void to see if there were any obstacles and there are none - no beams, electrics, plumbing, etc.

Needless to say I would get a light with the rights spec for a bathroom and such. However, am I missing something? Is there any reason why I shouldn't do it? It seems so easy that I almost feel like I'm missing something.
Thanks

CBF3CD10-C223-4625-A71A-3A87D3DA2CE3.jpeg

Sponsored Links
In a flat, the ceiling itself is a fire barrier. So you must get a fire- rated downlight. Also get one that complies with Building regs part C To stop moist air bring drawn into the roof void.

Oh yes. Is the ceiling more than 2.25 metres high?

and I assume that you own and do not rent the flat?

Yes. That will be ok. Note you will need a lamp too.
Have a look at the other ones and get the same wattage and colour output or the new one will look out of place.
Check above to make sure there are no restrictions. There may be a reason why there’s no light there!
Look at the other lights and copy how they have dealt with the ceiling insulation.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back