Installing electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to buy a new electric hob/cooker unit (one that just slots in). Current one is only a few years old but the cooker has stopped heating up.

I’ve found a replacement that is pretty similar but it says in the notes on the website you need an electrician to instal it because it’s hard wired, alternatively we can pay £100 for them to instal upon delivery.

I don’t want to do anything that’s out of my depth, but it does seem it’s a simple case of:

- turning off the plug switch dedicated to the oven and/or the circuit on the consumer unit

- screwing/attaching in the wire to the back of the new oven

- switch it all back on!

I don’t want to fork out extra cash if it’s an easy DIY task. But obviously I will if it’s not as straightforward as it appears or it’s risky for a layman to do!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Better to consult an electrician.
How many kw is your new oven and what is the amp rating of your existing oven circuit?

Better to consult an electrician.
How many kw is your new oven and what is the amp rating of your existing oven circuit?
The new oven we’re looking at is 10000 watt. I can’t seem to find the specs for my current oven (it’s a Zanussi zcv66030xa).

Even if it’s unwise to instal the new one myself, I presume I can at least unhook / remove my existing cooker without issue?

Sponsored Links
I need to buy a new electric hob/cooker unit (one that just slots in). Current one is only a few years old but the cooker has stopped heating up.
What, all of it - everything?

I’ve found a replacement that is pretty similar but it says in the notes on the website you need an electrician to instal it because it’s hard wired,
All instructions say that.

alternatively we can pay £100 for them to instal upon delivery.
They will only do that if everything is as they are used to.
If anything is the slightest bit different they will walk away.

I don’t want to do anything that’s out of my depth, but it does seem it’s a simple case of:
- turning off the plug switch dedicated to the oven and/or the circuit on the consumer unit
- screwing/attaching in the wire to the back of the new oven
- switch it all back on!
I don’t want to fork out extra cash if it’s an easy DIY task. But obviously I will if it’s not as straightforward as it appears or it’s risky for a layman to do!
You should test the circuit.

The fact that you are asking indicates you should not do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back