securespark said:
Ban

Heard of sarcasm, mate?

Yup.

You said:
Well, it's not complicated, is it?

Anyone can do it.
Which I took to be sarcasm, so I replied, trying to point out that

a) It's not necessarily complicated - it depends on your frame of reference.

b) Yes - anyone (almost) can do it.

Sponsored Links
I must admit I would love to know how many of these "professionals" would cope with the problem I have been faced with since thursday evening..hence the absence.

34" inline axial extract fan, three phase, wired wrong by some incompetent idiot..Oh I wired my house I can do you a favour sort of MUPPET..in a location that will remain confidential. Thought he was doing the owner a favour, he miswired a star-delta starter and ancient auto-transformer speed controller and blew the living **** out of the lot.

I, and one of my guys, have spent most of our waking ours tracking down and collecting, then installing, a 750mm duty/standby 400V axial encased fan, then adapting imperial to metric ducting, replacing all the control gear and bringing the installation up to existing regs.

This was made all the worse as the extractor was in a roof void that had been previously bricked in on one side and a fire break installed the other side, with no access..so the brick wall now has a 2m by 1m hole in it.

This entire problem was caused by a complete moron that believed because he had done some DIY on his house, he knew what he was doing with a star-delta and associated gear...his "favour" just cost the owner some £5.2K in parts and labour.

Hence my earlier post in this thread of SHEESH!!

Moral..IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE, CALL SOMEONE THAT DOES.

That's the problem, FWL.

Some think that because they have changed a lamp for granny they can then rewire Buck Palace in a day......

And I've seen this myself - what really amazes me is the "confidence" these people have along with a complete lack of fear. "oh, it'll work, and if it don't it'll blow the fuse!"

"One way or another, we'll know."

"And if it does work when you switch back on?" I asked.

He smiled and gave me the thumbs up...........

Oh yes..had another situation today with a local pub.Recently underwent a minor refurb. Electricians, and I use the term advisedly, have disapeared into the ether.

It is shocking what they have done, No main bonding, no supplementary bonding, not earth to grid switch plates, loose connections, miswired lighting circuits, air-con wired in single phase, but a three phase unit installed..the idiots didn't know how to link the motor to work in single phase!! Damn it comes with written instructions :cry:

I am really miffed. I had the names of these Guys, turns out that one was qualified, the other three were not..bl**dy chancers..and a company thinking it would save money on the cheapest quote. :rolleyes:

I am so ****ed with this attitude of false economy in this country. I know some may wonder why the moan as we earn money out of it..but I KNOW we shouldn't and there should be no need to if the job was done right originally..it's an effing joke.

Proper Regulation is what we need.

Sponsored Links
took your advise about the shower and decided, ile just fit an inline pump, as i already have a mixer tap.. but i have a slight problem the hot water it is in a gravity boiler and the cold is from the mains and every pump ive seen has spec saying dont fit the pump to the mains, i.e the pump must have a gravity storage tank intead, why is this as im just curious.
and ive seen one single pump, which just does hot, would that be better and leave the cold alone as thats not the problem as it has good pressure...

don't fit a pump to mains!! You'll have serious problems, as the pressures need to be equal. Mains pressure & gravity feed are mismatched to start with, but if you pump the mains as well..............

i wasnt going to, just wondering why... i know they have to be the same pressure as i found out with my mixer tap, the cold was greater than the hot and just pushed the hot back down the pipe to the boiler.. so only cold came out... if i was to put a pump on the hot i would have to regulate the pressure to be matched with the cold as problems accur...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back