installing extra cunsumser units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, how do you go about installing an extra cunsumer unit, as the 1 have is an old one and i wish to move it down from the front room to the cellar,with a view of eventually moving the meters to the cellar too

could i put 1 in the cellar and link it to the old one using the thick feed wires to a fuse?

also how do i go about getting the meters(gas and electric) moved to the cellar

many thanks for your replies and advice(if any :))

Sponsored Links
This is not a DIY job, You need to contact a qualified electrician to do this (see www.competentperson.co.uk for one near you)and your electricity supplier to move the meter.

If you think about it, all of the circuits that come to the existing consumer unit position will have to be properly extended to the new position.
All of the earthing will have to be checked and brought up to current regulations.
You cannot extend the feed from the meter to the fuseboard for more than 3 metres without taking special precautions.
You'd have to break the seal on the main fuse and the meter and you are not allowed to do that.

It is not as easy as you describe.

Have you reall thought about this. Moving your meters into the cellar I have no problem with, but I think that you should keep your consumer unit in an easilly accesible place (such as your hallway) because if you lighting circuits trip then you will have to go down into a dark cellar to reset it. I have just moved a CU from a cellar to a hallway for someone for this very reason!!

For any work like this you should get a registered competent person in. To get 'your' meters moved you will need to contact your gas/electricity supplier, just don't expect to get much change out of £400 for each service relocation

More if the cable is old and needs replacing. Old cables are fine, but try to move them and bang! ;)

Sponsored Links
ok thanks for the replies, thought id might have been able to do the cu unit myself though didnt think about what would happen if the lights went, cheers,
as for gas/elect meters think i will wait till they need replacing and ask the fitters to move it then

The guy's who come out to replace your meters will not be able to relocate them.

For certain there are 2 defferent departments with electrical installations for this type of work, one who will move the service & and any meter fitted; and another one who will change the meter (and nothing else).

You will have to pay for service moves, there will be no way around this!

Why not just build a cupboard around your meters!

And even it the meter man could move the cutout (which he can't) you could still be waiting for TWENTY years :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back